[AfrICANN-discuss] AfriNIC embraces Internet challenges in Africa

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 09:21:39 SAST 2010

Becky,

Love the headline, hate the lead para:

2010/2/6 Anne-Rachel Inné <annerachel at gmail.com>:
> IDG News Service >
>
> http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=9F731CE0-1A64-67EA-E4917BC660028BD2
>
> AfriNIC embraces Internet challenges in Africa
>
> Rebecca Wanjiku
> 05.02.2010 kl 18:26 | IDG News Service
>
> For the past five years, Africa Network Information Center resisted taking
> on assignments outside its scope. As one of the few functioning
> Internet-related organizations on the continent

There are many "functioning Internet-related organizations on the
continent" as evidenced by the growth in IXPs, active ISP
Associations, AfTLD, AfRENs, etc.

, AfriNIC now realizes that
> nothing much is getting done

?? I would dispute this as well.  A tremendous amount  has been done
in the last 5 years re: growth of Internet in Africa.

While recognising that we still have much to accomplish, I feel like
our glass is (at least) half full, not half empty..

--
Cheers,

McTim