[AfrICANN-discuss] US screening new gTLD applicants against US laws

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 17:08:22 SAST 2010

Hi Badru,

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 5:52 PM, Badru Ntege (NFT)
<badru.ntege at nftconsult.com> wrote:

> Just like we keep on hitting bad government in Africa until they conform we
> also need to keep lobbying for change on this issue until the Dept of trade

It's not the Department of Commerce that is holding up the show, it's politics.

Obama needs to run again.  If the US Gov't let the IANA "float away"
to ICANN, the Republicans would use it during the next campaign to
crucify Obama.  I can see the campaign attack ads in my mind... "Our
tax dollars built the Internet and Obama just gave it away, what kind
of American is he??"  Of course, it's nonsense, but the US electorate
is notoriously gullible.

In any case, we have to hope for a 2nd Obama administration where such
concerns will be moot, and we can finally see some action on this.

--
Cheers,

McTim