[AfrICANN-discuss] IPv4's Last Day: What Will Happen When There Is Only IPv6?

SM sm at resistor.net
Sat Apr 24 18:14:19 SAST 2010

At 06:34 24-04-10, Dr Yassin Mshana wrote:
>I was wondering about the implications of this to a common user.

None in the short term.  It's irrelevant to the common user whether
they are using IPv4 to access the content.  ISPs and content
providers will be affected as they are the ones that go to RIRs to
get IPv4 addresses.  If they cannot get IPv4 addresses, it won't be
the end of the Internet.  They may have to spend more money.  ISPs
would have to change the way their users access the web.  The common
user won't notice the change as they are used to accessing the web
from behind a NAT.  The uncommon users who require more than web
access may be affected if they are running applications that require
an IPv4 address reachable from anywhere on the Internet.

>Also, what is stopping the RIRs from requesting for IPv6 from this moment?

I am not sure what you mean here.  RIRs already assign IPv6 addresses.

At 07:02 24-04-10, Alex Gakuru wrote:
>My considered opinion is that it would help end users much if AfriNIC
>community supported end users with information, popularised, and

That wouldn't make any difference as end users do not have a
choice.  Your ISP does not support IPv6 and does not plan to do
so.  As an experiment, call your ISP and ask them whether you can get
an IPv6 address.

>assisted more to use available, free IPv6 tunnel brokers - giving a
>first-hand experience of the IPv6 internet? for example, "Freenet6

There isn't much to experience as there is very little content
available over IPv6.

>Would such a program already be existence? My apologies if it already
>does for I was not aware of it.

You can set up a IPv6 tunnel as there are a few free IPv6 tunnel
providers outside Africa.  The other end of the tunnel will not be in
the AfriNIC region.  This means that if you want to reach a friend
using the same ISP as you and who's running a similar tunnel, the
communication will go through Europe or some other point outside the
region.  That causes a delay.

If you need help setting up an IPv6 tunnel, you can ask on the AfNOG
mailing list.

Regards,
-sm