[AfrICANN-discuss] Per Capita, Netherlands Is the World's ccTLD Leader

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sun May 3 14:21:53 SAST 2009

Hi,

2009/5/2 Anne-Rachel Inné <annerachel at gmail.com>:
> Per Capita, Netherlands Is the World's ccTLD Leader
<snip>

> But even if you take this into account, the Dutch registry SIDO claims that
> the Netherlands still has the highest density of domains, roughly 28 .NL
> domains per 1,000 people—a still impressive ratio.
>
> Why is this I wonder?

Having lived in Holland, I think it's because the Dutch were early
adopters of Internet for home and corporate use.  In addition, they
have a wide diffusion of web building skills via schools.  Mostly,
however, I think it's a linguistic thing, they are very proud of
dutch, and with a .nl site, you are guaranteed that you don't have to
use English (which is widely spoken, but reading is sometimes harder).

By contrast, here in Uganda, most .ug sites are English only, with a
very few in Luganda or other languages.

--
Cheers,

McTim