[AfrICANN-discuss] flowery - Re: AfrICANN Digest, Vol 28, Issue 3 - ICANN JPA

Dr Yassin Mshana ymshana2003 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 12:48:06 SAST 2009

I agree with Paulos. To add a bit of salt:
It has been evident that WSIS process (and similar gatherings) could not
deliver. I presume that there is a need for a different way of
Cooperation and global Integration for WSIS process to be effective. It has
been characterised by Multiple Agendas and changes in participants have
resulted to a lack of continuity and institutional memory on the policy
part. Technical side is OK there is Continuity and institutional memory. How
can the policy making part be so? There will always be changes in
Governments..
Or, am I off point?

2009/6/8 Dr Paulos Nyirenda <paulos at sdnp.org.mw>

> Considering that Internte Governnace was one very sticky issue that
> WSIS could not resolve, this seems very flowery. Regards, Paulos
>
> On 5 Jun 2009 at 22:38, Dandjinou Pierre wrote:
>

> > Dear All,
> >
> > Following the responsesto the series of questions , we now need
> > toconclude.I am therefore proposing the following text for your
> > perusal and review. feel free to amend as English is not my mother
> > tongue; Also, bear in mind we should be sending this to the NTIA by
> > the 7th June.
> > Finally, this text which is meant torepresent the views of members
> > of this discussion list does not prevent us from sending any
> > individual comments as a response to the NOI..
> >
> > Pierre D
> >
> > The Africa ICANN Discussion List members provide the following
> > comments in response to the National Telecommunications and
> > Information Administration Notice of Inquiry "Assessment of the
> > Transition of the Technical Coordination and Management of the
> > Internet's Domain Name and Addressing System [Docket No. 090420688-
> > 9689-01]."
> >
> > In a view to provide comments which reflect the general views of the
> > Africa region on the termination of the JPA agreement and thereof a
> > final report on the DNS project, members of the Africann list , a
> > discussion list for Africans who are interested in Icann´s matters ,
> > organized an online brain storming session. The Group is now happy
> > to submit its deliberations to the National Telecommunication Agency
> > (NTIA).
> >
> > According to ICANN's mission statement, it coordinates the allocation
> > and assignment of the three sets of unique identifiers for the
> > Internet, which are: Domain names; Internet protocol addresses and
> > Autonomous system numbers; Protocol port and parameter numbers. After
> > its 11 years of existence, ICANN has served as the testbed for many
> > initiatives that have come to make the Internet an ever growing space
> > for communication and knowledge sharing. The Africa region is
> > particularly marked by the new developments which ICANN has generated
> > in its core business of DNS and IP address management. Thus, the
> > bottom up approach to policy development, the constant search for
> > transparency and accountability constitute the overarching features
> > which ICANN has struggled for since 1998. Indeed, since then, the
> > successive MoUs which have delineated ICANN´s perimeter have provided
> > an outlet for an experiment which spans diverse issues and cross
> > sector relationships.
> >
> > In performing its function as the custodian and coordinator of those
> > critical resources that are domain names and IP addresses, ICANN has
> > constantly striven to be open, transparent and accountable. The JPA
> > and the subsequent MoUs have certainly provided the framework for
> > this coordination which has now given its global and international
> > nature to ICANN. While the Africa region benefitted from the ICANN´s
> [...]

c/o DFID-Nigeria
No. 10 Bobo Street
Maitama
Abuja