[AfrICANN-discuss] Re: AfrICANN Digest, Vol 28, Issue 3

Vika Mpisane vika at zadna.org.za
Wed Jun 3 13:06:53 SAST 2009

Well, if anything the email from Esam Abdulkhirat has served one good
purpose: to get us to talk about the JPA. It is also pleasing to see Pierre
D and Nii taking some form of leadership on this matter. Way to go!

The views below are mine personally and on .za DNA's behalf. AfTLD is yet to
apply its mind on the JPA issue. Hopefully we'll be able to table a common
position as AfTLD and AF* in the near future.

o has ICANN MOU relationship with DoC provided useful guidance over the
years?

Yes, the MOU served a good purpose over the last 10 years. This good purpose
is the fact that DoC kept oversight over ICANN and thus ensured that ICANN
performed its work well, knowing somebody was watching them.

o has ICANN successfully accounted to its community in open and transparent
way throughout its series of MOUs with DoC

Yes, since ICANN has been quite inclusive in its role, bringing various
stakeholders to the same platform. There may be areas of improvement, but
overall ICANN has accounted fairly well. The ready availability of the ICANN
Board, CEO/President and staff to even attend regional events and discussion
has seen almost all ICANN regions increasingly influencing the work of
ICANN.

o has the Internet remained stable and growing during tenure of ICANN
services?

Yes, it has. I'm particularly impressed with the quick thinking and
communication shown by ICANN in responding to DNS security threats. Such
approach has made the Internet stable and substantially secure. Going
forward, ICANN should look at encouraging ccTLDs to improve in their
security through implementing DNSSec and other security technologies.

o has bottomup multistakeholder processes at ICANN been effective?

Substantially it has been, although regions like Africa and South America
still have participate more in shaping ICANN processes. In addition, there
is a need for governments to have a more recognised role over ICANN. The
notion of GAC is good, but the reality is that GAC is simply an advisory
committee. Hopefully this will be addressed once the JPA terminates.

o has ICANN demonstrated maturity and is able to remain accountable to the
community?

Yes, as explained above. I like the fact the ICANN Board itself seems to
push for the end of the US DoC oversight over ICANN. That is a sign that
ICANN appreciates the anomaly of having one government (US) unilaterally
having oversight over a global resource (DNS).

o continuation of JPA as is or not?

This is a tricky question because fair as it will be to see the end of the
JPA MOU, there is still no answer as to who will have oversight over ICANN
going forward. There may be value in looking more closely at the
international tribunal proposal (by somebody from the EU region). I really
don't think that the ITU will be a good structure for this due to a number
of reasons I can state outside this discussion.

I hope the Obama administration will be keen to hand over the oversight role
to another entity.

Regards,

Vika Mpisane

.za Domain Name Authority

Tel: +27 11 275 0082

Fax:+27 11 234 5022

  _____

o has ICANN MOU relationship with DoC provided useful guidance over the
years?

  Yes

o has ICANN successfully accounted to its community in open and
transparent way throughout its series of MOUs with DoC

  Yes

  o has the Internet remained stable and growing during tenure of ICANN
services?

  Yes

  o has bottomup multistakeholder processes at ICANN been effective?

  Yes

  o has ICANN demonstrated maturity and is able to remain accountable to

  the community?

  Yes

  o continuation of JPA as is or not?

  No.