[AfrICANN-discuss] Mexico City '09

Vika Mpisane vika at zadna.org.za
Wed Feb 25 17:38:31 SAST 2009

Good points you got there, Michuki, as much as I concede that Maye & Alaa
are raising genuine concerns too.

To echo your view, the issue of ICANN meetings "touring" different regions
should not cloud the main issue with Africa in global Internet governance
fora. Our own African meetings (AfriNIC, AfNOG, AfTLD, etc) are usually
disappointing in terms of people numbers, and the question is always the
same: where is Africa's commitment & presence to contribute to the global
Internet dialogue?

Are we as Africans always going to rely on fellowships to attend our own
regional meetings? We honestly do need to have a closer look at ourselves &
realize that ICANN is not our main problem, but we are becoming our own
enemies! In the process Africa's voice becomes weaker & weaker.

We don't seem to contribute enough in a number of ICANN & IGF discussions.
What is our position in relation to the forthcoming new gTLDs? Won't the new
gTLDs really cause African ccTLDs to struggle even more than they are
struggling because of .com, .org & .net? What is our view? Can't we find
ways to contribute to discussions even when we can't physically be at ICANN
& IGF meetings? Remember you can still follow most of these meetings online.

What about the IDN fast-track process? Does it suit us? We need Africa's
views here!

The ICANN Regions issue has re-surfaced & raised its somewhat ugly head
again. In the process, some outside have tried to explore splitting Africa
into divisive regions such as Arab Africa, French-speaking Africa, etc! What
are we saying about this? I'm happy that the Egyptian government (I'm told)
has been quick to stand against any division of Africa.

The point here is this: it's not as important where ICANN meetings go
(although I sure hope we can find ways of regulating this as some of these
meetings really hit on our budgets!), what's important is our ability (or
lack of it) to contribute to & influence the Internet dialogue.

But yes, something must be done about the globetrotting nature of ICANN
meetings. No offence, Anne-Rachel & Baher:-)

Regards,

Vika Mpisane
.za Domain Name Authority
Tel: +27 11 275 0082