[AfrICANN-discuss] On Its Way: One of the Biggest Changes to the Internet

CAFEC cafec3m at yahoo.fr
Wed Oct 10 11:26:30 SAST 2007

Very interesting process. So can you provide about this evaluation a french
version for frenchspoken in africa area ?
It should aallow me to dispatch quickly this information  in local, national
, sub regional level.

Baudouin

2007/10/10, Anne-Rachel Inné <annerachel at gmail.com>:

> On Its Way: One of the Biggest Changes to the Internet
>
> Internet users have key role in testing the operation of example.test in
> 11 languages

> * MARINA DEL REY, Calif.*: The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and
> Numbers will launch an evaluation of Internationalized Domain Names next
> week that will allow Internet users to test top-level domains in 11
> languages.
>
> "This evaluation represents ICANN's most important step so far towards the
> full implementation of Internationalized Domain Names. This will be one of
> the biggest changes to the Internet since it was created," said Dr Paul
> Twomey, ICANN's President and CEO. "ICANN needs the assistance of users and
> application developers to make this evaluation a success. When the
> evaluation pages come online next week, we need everyone to get in there and
> see how the addresses display and see how links to IDNs work in their
> programs. In short, we need them to get in and push it to its limits."
>
> The evaluation is made possible by today's insertion into the root of the
> 11 versions of .test, which means they are alongside other top-level domains
> like .net, .com, .info, .uk, and .de at the core of the Internet.
>
> Next Monday, 15 October 2007, Internet users around the globe will be able
> to access wiki pages with the domain name example.test in 11 test
> languages — Arabic, Persian, Chinese (simplified and traditional), Russian,
> Hindi, Greek, Korean, Yiddish, Japanese and Tamil.
>
> The wikis will allow Internet users to establish their own subpages with
> their own names in their own language. The evaluation is being done in the
> 11 languages of the Internet communities that have shown the most interest
> in moving IDNs from concept to reality.
>
> The full introduction of IDNs will mean that people can write the whole of
> a domain name in the characters used to write their own language. Presently
> you can only use these characters before the dot, so .com, .net, .org and
> the like can only be written in characters from basic Latin. IDNs will
> change this so that literally tens of thousands of characters will be
> available to the world.
>
> "Right now only the ASCII characters a through z are available for use in
> top level labels — the part of the address after the dot," Dr Twomey added.
> "Users will be able to have their name in their language for their Internet
> when full IDN implementation makes available tens of thousands of characters
> from the languages of world."
>
> More information on the IDN program is available at:
> http://icann.org/topics/idn/ <http://www.icann.org/topics/idn/>
>
> Links to the wikis will be available on ICANN's website starting 15
> October 2007.
>
> * About ICANN: *
>
> ICANN is responsible for the global coordination of the Internet's system
> of unique identifiers like domain names (like .org, .museum and country
> [...]

SCHOMBE BAUDOUIN
COORDONNATEUR NATIONAL REPRONTIC
COORDONNATEUR SOUS REGIONAL ACSIS/AFRIQUE CENTRALE
MEMBRE FACILITATEUR GAID AFRIQUE
TEL:00243998983491
EMAIL:b.schombe at gmail.com