[AfrICANN-discuss] Joint Statement by Assistant Secretary John M. R. Kneuer and Ambassador David A. Gross on the Second Meeting of the Internet Governance Forum

Anne-Rachel Inné annerachel at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 18:06:52 SAST 2007

Press Release:Joint Statement by Assistant Secretary John M. R. Kneuer
and Ambassador David A. Gross on the Second Meeting of the Internet
Governance Forum, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, November 12-15, 2007
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/press/2007/IGF_110807.html

For Immediate Release: November 8, 2007
Contact: Todd Sedmak, 482-7002 or tsedmak at ntia.doc.gov

WASHINGTON – Assistant Secretary John M. R. Kneuer and Ambassador
David A. Gross today released the following statement on the upcoming
Internet Governance Forum:

"We welcome the convening of the second meeting of the Internet
Governance Forum (IGF) in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, next week.  The IGF
offers an opportunity for leading Internet experts from around the
world to share experiences and visions that support the continued
evolution and expansion of the Internet.  The IGF also provides an
opportunity to underscore the critical role that freedom of expression
and free flow of information play in maximizing the benefits of the
Internet.  We also hope that issues regarding the security, stability,
and reliability of the Internet are at the heart of issues addressed.
We also look forward to constructive discussions about access to and
use of information and communication technologies to advance economic
and social development.

"In order for the IGF to realize its full potential, it is important
to ensure that all stakeholders from the Internet community continue
to participate in this important event on an equal footing, as was the
case for the successful inaugural meeting in Athens, Greece last year.
 The multi-stakeholder processes that underpin the IGF at every level
make it a globally unique environment for an honest and frank exchange
of ideas without the pressure of negotiating output discussions or
conclusions.  We remain committed to the terms of reference for the
IGF as agreed by world leaders at the UN World Summit on the
Information Society.

"The promise of the IGF – open and inclusive dialogue among all
stakeholders of the international Internet community to discuss
critical issues concerning the future of the Internet – is viewed by
the United States as a positive development and we look forward to
participating in the meeting in Rio de Janeiro."