[AfrICANN-discuss] Registration payment in Africa: a chance to innovate?

Mawaki Chango ki_chango at yahoo.com
Tue May 15 22:36:59 SAST 2007

Thanks Ken, Yaovi, Khaled, Mouhamet, etc. for the answer about
the first African registrar.

Philemon raised an interesting point about registration payment.
I recall having read a while ago that there is a new cellular
application in Kenya allowing people with no bank card (or even
no account) to make payments and money transfers with their
mobile phone. I also know from my time in Dakar, MANOBI came up
with some interesting cellular application (a kind of
micro-stock exchange) for farmers and fishermen to sell their
products at marketplaces in the country, etc.

My point is, we should really explore innovative ways, adapated
to our conditions and yet sustainable, to do business. I'm
convinced using the cellular networks/phones that are so
successful on the continent, we can bypass some of the things
that are seen as shortcomings when approached from a western
(industrial world's) perspective. As Africans, we all know there
are other business models than the one implied by ICANN
processes. Kheweul registrar might become the success story that
makes this point clear once for all, globally, and opens the way
hopefully for African gTLD registries.

C'est tout le mal que je te souhaite, Mouhamet!
Cheers,

Mawaki

http://www.is.co.za/news/access/Internet+Solutions+to+Register+Domains+directly+with+ICANN.htm