[AfrICANN-discuss] Comments on .xxx

Adiel A. Akplogan adiel at afrinic.net
Fri Mar 30 12:38:53 SAST 2007

Hi Michuki,

>Its in my opinion that, since the debate will not receive the full
>support of the global community, why not move the debate to the ccTLD
>level. For instance the board proposes that the xxx be a ccTLD issue not
>a new TLD issue. In this case based on review country by country, then
>it will be upon each cc's to choose to have a .xxx.cc sTLD as opposed to
>the global community's and ICANN board to decide on having a .xxx TLD.

I don't think the cc community need ICANN board to create sTLD and policy
for it usage. It is purely local issue.

>Those countries that approve of a .xxx.cc sTLD and are an open registry,
>  they will probably accommodate the adult content web-masters who are
>seeking a formal name space slot.

Yes in accordance with the local ccTLD policy.

>This in my opinion will address the issue of the domain at a national
>level and take away the debate from the Global arena - since as varied
>as the world is - the .xxx may not receive the desired global consensus
>for approval.

The main problem with this TLD is the high level of politics involved which
in turn raises the issue of the new TLD process. The process need to be fixed
to avoid any ambiguity and allow such case to be dealt with  by the ICANN
board in an equitable way.  I'm personally against the proposal for several
reasons. But I also think that the board members has had to take their decision
based on their ethical judgement and not 100% based on the process in place ...
[That is the impression I got]

- a.