[AfrICANN-discuss] Application Round Opens for Paris Meeting Fellowships

Dr Yassin Mshana ymshana2003 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 21:13:25 SAST 2007

Thanks AR for the Call - well done all!!

Just one question (not to you only but to all concerned): How many times can
an individual be allowed to receive the Fellowship? I thought New Faces each
time would bring New Ideas and Opinions whilst gaining the exposure to the
ICANN's Intnl Public Meetings, make contacts etc?.

My thinking is that  geared towards widening the participation at these
major events - it is a voluntary role at the end of the day - I would
support the opinion that award of Fellowships should look at the need to
have New Faces as much is it is applicable. It is a resource for all to tap
into equally because the Internet Phenomenon affects everybody everywhere.

It is a humble suggestion

Well done all!!

Yassin

On 08/12/2007, Anne-Rachel Inné <annerachel at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Application Round Opens for Paris Meeting Fellowships
>
> Program makes sure global voices heard at ICANN's International Public
> Meetings

> *MARINA DEL REY, Calif.* : The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and
> Numbers is putting out the call for fellowship program applications for its
> 32nd International Public Meeting to be held in Paris from 22-27 June 2008.
>
> "The fellowship program plays a key role in making sure that global voices
> are heard at the ICANN meeting and in our various public forums," said
> Theresa Swinehart, ICANN's Vice President, Global and Strategic
> Partnerships.
>
> The 23 fellows from 22 countries who played an active role at the Los
> Angeles meeting were chosen from 167 applications received. An additional 10
> candidates chosen in this round were deferred to the New Delhi meeting in
> February. Of the fellows at the Los Angeles meeting, 10 had never attended
> an ICANN meeting before, and seven were alumni from the inaugural program in
> San Juan this past June.
>
> Priority is given to applicants who are current residents of developing
> and least developed nations and interested in participating in ICANN and its
> supporting organizations, such as the Governmental Advisory Committee, the
> Country Code Names Supporting Organization, and the Generic Names Supporting
> Organization. The fellowship will assist in covering airfare, hotel and a
> stipend. Recipients will be expected to actively participate in and
> contribute to ICANN processes. As always, registration for ICANN's meetings
> is free for anyone wanting to attend.
>
> Applications will be accepted from now until 1200 PDT ( UTC -7) on 11
> January 2008. More information, as well as a link to the application for a
> fellowship, is available online at: http://www.icann.org/fellowships/
>
> * About ICANN: *
>
> ICANN is responsible for the global coordination of the Internet's system
> of unique identifiers like domain names (like .org, .museum and country
> codes like .uk) and the addresses used in a variety of Internet protocols
> that help computers reach each other over the Internet. Careful management
> of these resources is vital to the Internet's operation, so ICANN's global
> stakeholders meet regularly to develop policies that ensure the Internet's
> ongoing security and stability. ICANN is an internationally organized,
> public benefit non-profit company. For more information please visit:
> www.icann.org.
>
> *Media Contacts: *
>
> Jason Keenan
> Media Adviser, ICANN (USA)