[AfriNIC-rpd] The "Out of Region Sales for IPv4 Space" Policy Proposal is now Online

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Feb 15 18:21:48 UTC 2011

On Feb 15, 2011, at 9:57 AM, Andrew Alston wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> There is a second version of this policy proposal which I have emailed to
> policy-submission and will hopefully be posted soon, but some comments:
>

> > For now, I am neutral with regard to this proposal.
> >
> > I do have some questions I think are worth considering...
> >
> > 1. By runout in one of the other RIRs, it is possible AfriNIC's inventory
> > could be less than
> > a /8. In such an event, this policy would allow AfriNIC to sell its entire
> > remaining inventory.
> > Is that the intent?
>
> Negative, the soft landing policy as it currently stands would prevent this
> policy from taking effect if this is the case.  I however do not believe
> that is even vaguely likely.

I would say this policy conflicts with the soft landing policy in that
regard. As such, usually the most recently adopted policy wins in
such cases of conflict. I confess I am not sure how the AfriNIC
rules resolve conflicts between policies such as these.

> > 2. The premium price of 2x current rate will be well below likely market
> > prices in the
> > address trading markets established by ARIN, RIPE, and APNIC policies. (not
> > sure
> > if LACNIC has a trading policy), virtually guaranteeing that AfriNIC will be a
> > preferred
> > source unti the inventory is exhausted. Likely you could significantly
> > increase the
> > pricing if you tied this policy to market values in some way. If the intent is
> > to maximize
> > revenues for AfriNIC, then, perhaps that would be worth considering.
>
> The LIR * 2 membership fee is a "foreign penalty", it is not meant to
> MAXIMIZE revenues, it is simply meant to make it slightly more fair.  People
> aren't BUYING ip space under this proposal, they are taking membership of
> AfriNIC from an external source.  Therefore the LIR Rate * 2 is a membership
> rate + external penalty almost, and is recurring revenue.

The policy should probably state that as the intent. The current
wording makes it sound more like revenue for AfriNIC is the
over-arching goal.

> > 3. I believe the claims that AfriNIC space will be used by foreign entities
> > whether AfriNIC
> > makes it available or not are essentially specious and mostly FUD[1]. However,
> > the
> > passage of policies like this could turn such statements into self-fulfilling
> > prophecies.
> > Is that the intent?
>
> No, since I do not agree with you whatsoever that this is "fud."  I've seen
> enough talk in the general industry about how this can be achieved through
> shelf companies and other such means to indicate that people are already
> thinking along these lines.  This policy is meant to discourage it being
> done via subterfuge and legitimize it.

I've seen the same talk. I believe that talk to be FUD. Using
the FUD from other sources does not substantiate a claim
that it is not FUD.

People will steal anyway. I do not favor legitimizing theft so that
people will not conceal it through subterfuge.

Owen