[RPKI-Discuss] AfriNIC RPKI woes (March 30th, 2020)

Ben Maddison benm at workonline.africa
Mon Mar 30 12:59:23 UTC 2020

Hi Amreesh,

On Mon, 2020-03-30 at 16:45 +0400, Amreesh Phokeer wrote:

> Dear Job,

> We are currently doing a deployment and the RPKI repository is

> currently under maintenance.

> Please check our status page for updates:

> https://status.afrinic.net/

Can you explain a little about the nature of the maintenance in
progress?

I would expect that the safer option would be to kill access to the
publication points in advance of this type of work. Especially if the
repo was expected to get into a transiently inconsistent state.

We do not, as a community, understand the operational corner cases of
RPKI well enough yet to be able to assume that everyone will handle
this type of issue gracefully.

On that note, we currently run the RIPE validator (v3.1). It sees
*nothing wrong* with the current state of the repo, due to the way it
"handles" CRLs.

We'll be moving away to alternative RP software as soon as we have the
cycles. I'd recommend everyone to do the same.

Cheers,

Ben