[RPKI-Discuss] Additional uses of RPKI

Daniel Shaw danielshaw at protonmail.com
Wed Apr 10 18:56:58 UTC 2019

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Wednesday, April 10, 2019 8:45 PM, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.mu> wrote:
the coming months/years.

> RPKI is here (like IPv6 and DNSSEC), so the time to argue its merits is
> long gone. One is welcome not to use it if they so wish,

I'll also branch this into a separate thread/topic, keeping to rpki-discuss. Just because I found it interesting that not only is RPKI here already, but it's already being used additionally to routing validation.

See here: https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/ec2-byoip.html#prepare-for-byoip

AWS has an interesting service that allows for the use of your own IPv4 resources within AWS anywhere you can use a public IP. For the time being this only supports resources from RIPE or ARIN. But in time that may expand to the other RIRs including AFRINIC. Who knows. The interesting part is that to implement this if you have ARIN or RIPE resources, you have to create a ROA! You must create a ROA that authorises the Amazon ASNs to originate your prefix you intend to use in AWS. You cannot bring your IPs until you do that (-:

And now back to your usual daily programming.

- Daniel