[rpd] Last Call -Update of PDP AFPUB-2021-GEN-002-DRAFT03

ABDULKARIM OLOYEDE oloyede.aa at unilorin.edu.ng
Mon Jul 4 08:54:07 UTC 2022

Dear All,
I would like to object to this policy reaching a consensus for a number of
reasons.
1. Section 3.4.5. Additionally malfunction of the Board
A. I disagree with this section because I do not think the board should
have any additional function. The PDWG should not be subjected to the board
in this manner. The Board members are also members of the community and
should be free to propose policies just as any other person and not by
using additional extra powers. There is already a provision in case there
is an emergency.  Therefore this seems like an abuse of office. The
exceptional emergency is not defined and anything can be adjudged to be an
emergency.  All you need is for two friends to shout an emergency and it
becomes an emergency.

B "In the event that such Policy Proposal doesn’t reach consensus, it will
not be further enforced or implemented, however, any actions taken in terms
of the policy up to the non-consensus determination, will remain valid."
I totally disagree with this. This has grievous consequences.  In
addition to my objection in 'A' I think this clause makes it worse. How can
such a policy stand? On what basis? So what this means is that the board
can take an illegal action and it would stand.

2. Section 3.1.1: This section is too vague. There are so many scenarios
that could occur and given one example is not just the way to go cos there
are many possibilities. The section also refers to the way other RIR reach
consensus or Rough consensus without saying which RIR in particular cos
there are different ways in which consensus is reached by other RIRs. For
example, ARIIN takes actual votes into consideration.  then are we saying
even when all agree on an issue it would still be "rough consensus" because
the document says Consequently, the use of “consensus” in the PDP must be
interpreted as “rough consensus”.

3. Section 3.3 . A part of the section says "If necessary, taking into
consideration the rights of Personal Data Protection, AFRINIC may formally
verify the identity of the persons forming part of the PDWG." Are we saying
that if not necessary AFRINIC should forgo a fundamental human right to
data protection? are we saying AFRINIC can breach the fundamental law on
personal data protection if not necessary?  This is not possible. The right
of personal data protection MUST be protected and not just if necessary. it
is not optional.

B.  Also it reads "Typically, most of the work is carried out through the
Resource Policy Discussion (RPD) mailing list (rpd at afrinic.net) and the
AFRINIC Public Policy Meetings (PPM)." why do we need typically here? is
there any other way to carry out the work?

4 Section 3.4.1 : "Any PPV must be discussed on the RPD List for a minimum
of 8 weeks and maximum, the period of time required so it can be presented
in the PPM. Consensus for a Policy Proposal can be determined only once it
has been presented and discussed in the PPM." This sentence does not make
any sense to me ..minimum 8 weeks And maximum what? Something seems missing
here.  then i do not even understand the remaining part of the sentence.
only once ? what does that mean?   I does not have any meaning to me. I
read it several times to be sure am not thick.

5. Section 3.5.3 " the proposal talked about"rough consensus" in 3.1.1 now
it is talking about "consensus" . I was thinking section 3.1.1 say no more
use of consensus.  Am I wrong?

6 Section 3.4.4. This section is very dangerous. Are we now saying board
members are not part of the PDWG? Why would the board allow for a PPV to
reach consensus and now veto it? Why if the board has an objection to the
PPV then it must be done when it is being discussed on the mailing list.
The board are also part of the PDWG and they have always contributed. The
definition of PDWG does not exempt the board. The board cannot be superior
to the community.  This section is simply saying the board is superior to
the community. that the board can wait until when the policy gets to it and
then reject it. Why must they wait till that stage. is there any reason for
this? If the board has an objection to a policy it must be stated
clearly with alternatives when it is being discussed it cannot be at the
end. That is a waste of time for the community.

7. Section 3.5  As we have clearly seen now that the Board itself can be
part of the controversy. If the board is now allowed to appoint all members
of the AC then it is like a judge in its own case.
I give you a possible scenario based on this proposal. the board submit a
proposal as an emergency, the proposal goes through and some object to it
and decide to appeal. then the same board now appoints an appeal committee
what do you think would happen to that case? I can give more examples.  We
need to be realistic. The  AC should be appointed by the community and
it must be a standing committee such that it cannot be reconstituted when an
appeal is submitted. that way it would not be a subjective committee.

8.  I think this proposal needs more work.

Thanks

AK

Website <http://www.unilorin.edu.ng>, Weekly Bulletin
<http://www.unilorin.edu.ng/index.php/bulletin> UGPortal