[rpd] A question for the PDWG

Fernando Frediani fhfrediani at gmail.com
Wed May 25 17:48:15 UTC 2022

Hi David

Currently there is no such possibility and that is a mistake, maybe
driven by past RIR interested people who would not like to be
accountable to other people from other organizations overseeing their
decisions. Any administrative or legal decision must have a double
degree of jurisdiction and the second one must necessarily be of an
external body, not its own people.
As mentioned on my reply to Mike RIRs deal with shared resources that
affect the entire Internet Community and they should not be allowed to
make final decisions without any possibility of revision. What system
would best fit to it is debatable, but it should really exist.

The power vested in RIR communities is not enough to resolve these cases
for different reasons: first is that certain decisions may be of their
own benefit but contrary to the rest of worldwide community so they
would never revert it back. Also community cannot do much to change a
RIR administrative decision. At most membership can, but that is a
length and difficult process which may not always fit and be of the
interest the entire community.

Regards
Fernando