[rpd] RIR comparison for PDWG's Chairs Selection Process (was: AFRINIC PDWG Co-Chair Selection Candidates Matrix)

Sylvain Baya abscoco at gmail.com
Sun May 22 11:51:42 UTC 2022

{OoT? start new thread}
Dear PDWG,

Le dimanche 22 mai 2022, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via RPD <rpd at afrinic.net> a
écrit :

> Each RIR has its own way.

Hi Jordi,
Thanks for your email, brother!

...i've understood that this conversation turned
about a comparison of the five RIR processes
for:

1| Nomination
2| Selection

> For example, from the top of my head, I recall in ARIN only members can
> nominate/vote to select the AC members (somehow equivalent to the
> co-chairs).

...i'm also lazy sometimes :'-(

"Nomination

A NomCom of seven representatives guides the nomination process. Candidates
are nominated by ARIN Members in Good Standing, although a petition process
exists for self-nomination. Each nominee is asked to complete a
questionnaire developed by the NomCom for its consideration of suitability.
The NomCom forwards the list of verified nominees to the President of ARIN
who distributes the list and publishes the biographical information.
Nominees may solicit statements of support directly, or via social media,
but not using ARIN mailing lists.

Selection

An electronic vote, requiring a quorum of 5% of eligible voters, is
conducted among the Voting Contacts for all General Members in good
standing for a period of (at least) seven days from the Fall Public Policy
and Members Meeting.
The President, one member of the Board of Trustees, and ARIN’s General
Council, tally the votes separately. If all counts match, a result is
declared.

The ARIN AC conducts an internal on-line ballot to elect a Chair."
https://www.apnic.net/community/participate/sigs/sig-guidelines/chair-elections/rir-comparison-table/#:~:text=three%2Dyear%20terms.-,Nomination,AC%20conducts%20an%20internal%20on%2Dline%20ballot%20to%20elect%20a%20Chair.,-Community%20demographics

> In LACNIC only members can nominate/second, but all the participants in
> the policy list can vote.

"Nomination

Call for nominations will be made through the Public Policy mailing list.
Nominees must be LACNIC Members, or supported by a LACNIC Member. Nominees
must not be a member of LACNIC staff.

Selection

Voting takes place electronically immediately before the Public Policy
Forum. Only those subscribed to the policy mailing list may vote.

The election outcome must be ratified by consensus among those present as
judged by the acting Chairs.

If the winner is not ratified, LACNIC’s Board of Directors will appoint a
Chair to fill the vacant position until the following Public Policy Forum.
The next time an election and ratification process can be conducted, the
person elected shall fill the position only for the remaining part of the
original term."
https://www.apnic.net/community/participate/sigs/sig-guidelines/chair-elections/rir-comparison-table/#:~:text=election%20is%20ratified.-,Nomination,the%20position%20only%20for%20the%20remaining%20part%20of%20the%20original%20term.,-RIPE%20NCC

Hope this clarifies something :-)

Shalom,
--sb.

--