[rpd] AFRINIC PDWG Co-Chair Selection Timeframe

Sylvain Baya abscoco at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 17:32:46 UTC 2022

Dear PDWG,
Hope this email finds you in good health!

Please see my comments below, inline...

Le vendredi 22 avril 2022, Daniel I. Yakmut via RPD <rpd at afrinic.net> a
écrit :

> Dear All,

Hi Daniel,
Thanks for your email, brother!

> Have we amended the process of selecting/nominating/electing Co-Chairs
> now?

Please process are you refering to?

Remember that we had agreed that the procedure
available to replace PDWG's Chairs is very open;
and it's not seems to be a bug in the actual version
 (1.6) of the PDP [1].
__
[1]: <https://afrinic.net/policy/manual/amp#PDP-Process>

As you know, the appropriate words are: *choose*,
*nominate*, *select*, *selection*; and each of those
 correspond to a particular situation about PDWG
Chairs' tenure and replacement.

Of course, in case of a replacement after a full
mandate, the appropriate term is: "*nominate*
during the PPM". Is it preventing the PDWG to do
whatever it see fit before the PPM; in order to
ensure itself that the *nomination* is successfully
conducted during the up coming PPM?

That's the question!

<paste_CPM_section_3.3>
3.3  The Policy Development Working Group (PDWG)

The Policy Development Working Group (PDWG) discusses the proposals. Anyone
may participate via the Internet or in person. PDWG work is carried out
through the Resource Policy Discussion mailing list (rpd at afrinic.net) and
the bi-annual AFRINIC Public Policy Meetings (PPM). Any person,
participating either in person or remotely, is considered to be part of the
Policy Development Working Group.

The Policy Development Working Group has two Chairs to perform its
administrative functions. The PDWG Chairs are chosen by the AFRINIC
community during the Public Policy Meeting and serve staggered two-year
terms. The term ends during the first Public Policy Meeting corresponding
to the end of the term for which they were appointed. A term may begin or
end no sooner than the first day of the Public Policy Meeting and no later
than the last day of the Public Policy Meeting as determined by the mutual
agreement of the current Chair and the new Chair.

If the Working Group Chair is unable to serve his or her full term, the
Working Group may select a replacement to serve the remainder of the term.
If the Working Group Chairs are unable to attend the Public Policy Meeting,
the Working Group shall nominate a Chair for the session. Anyone present at
the meeting, whether in person or by remote participation, may participate
in the selection process for a temporary Chair.
</paste_CPM_section_3.3>

> Because the proposed activities and timeline looks extremely strange to
> me.

Please, could you elaborate on what you see as
strange?

> However, if I am missing something, please can i be referred to the
> reviewed (new) document that says we can now select/nominate/elect
> co-chairs on the mailing list.

It's clearly not about a formal document/DPP :-/

But if you want, feel free to propose a DPP to
clarify what appeares to be void into the running
 version of the CPM.

...i agree that the *nomination* is done during the
 PPM, per CPM section 3.3, but what's preventing
the PDWG to consensually prepare its success
beforehand? It's exactely what's happening right
now, imho!
Please, see also early comment above.

> Someone like me is beginning to loose interest

...i understand your say, and i sympatize, brother;
but i don't think it's actually the case.

It's rather a PDP flexibility which allows the PDWG
to consensually and freely do things that could ameliorate its difficult
conditions...

>  with us conducting our activities without a standing guide.

If you don't like that, still, interesting flexibility,
imho! then i encourage you to submit a DPP.

Clarifications on  is important and urgent.

...i hope this clarifies something!

Also, i thank the Policy Liaison Team for the
welcomed support provided to the PDWG to
guarantee a soft transition to a new PDWG's Chair.

Shalom,
--sb.

--

Best Regards !