[rpd] Summary of Policy Proposal Publication of Information AFPUB-2021-GEN-001-DRAFT02

PDWG Chair vincent at ngundi.me.ke
Wed Dec 8 15:22:30 UTC 2021

**

*Dear PDWG,*

*

The  summary of the elements that led to the PDWG Chairs decision for
the policy proposal Publication of Information
AFPUB-2021-GEN-001-DRAFT02 that was discussed during the AFRINIC-34
Public Policy Meeting is as follows :-

 1.

    Pending concern. Forcing members to come forward with their business
    when AFRINIC is just there to manage resources and not act with
    authority is not promoting openness and transparency within the
    Community.

 2.

    Pending concern. The whole proposal is confusing, as well as the
    goal of the proposal. What are the goals this proposal wants to achieve?

  *

    Why is there a need to publish all this information?

  *

    What will the community benefit from it?

  *

    If AFRINIC wants to promote openness, there are multiple ways. and
    safeguards that must be ensured without compromising the data
    security of its members

 3.

    Pending concern. Let us not go and propose a policy at the very
    first round.It’s better to discuss first then we see if we propose a
    policy, If we agree that there is a room for policy then we can work
    around that. Maybe it’s not a policy but rather a recommendation to
    staff or the board.If we try to sort everything by using the policy
    channel it is not correct, we lose time.

 4.

    Pending concern.It isn't clear to me whether this policy has
    retrospective application, will the disclosures be  only in respect
    of an application for resources after the introduction or will it be
    a case for all members already done and are affected? I believe a
    retrospective will raise serious questions? … and valid objections
    but forward operations.

 5.

    Pending concern. Concerns about the legality of implementing the
    policy immediately.

The decision of PDWG Co-chairs is that no rough consensus has been
reached due to the number of valid concerns not yet addressed during the
online session and from the mailing list. The draft policy proposal,
therefore, goes back to the RPD mailing list for further discussion.

Regards,

Vincent Ngundi & Darwin Da Costa

AFRINIC PDWG CO-CHAIRS

*