[rpd] [Community-Discuss] Call for AFRINIC’s registry service migration to other RIRs

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun Aug 8 04:45:00 UTC 2021

> On Aug 5, 2021, at 23:34 , Frank Habicht <geier at geier.ne.tz> wrote:

> Owen,

> On 06/08/2021 00:20, Owen DeLong via RPD wrote:

>> But there is an inherent territorial nature to houses and land as

>> physical objects that does not apply

>> to internet number resources. A contiguous network that spans multiple

>> continents and operates

>> a backbone should not be forced to have 5 different sets of

>> non-contiguous numbers that it

>> advertises regionally simply to satisfy some artifice of construction of

>> the RIR system.

>> Fortunately, the above is not the case, no matter how much AFRINIC

>> wishes to pretend it is so.

> I don't know of a case where AFRINIC has wished to pretend it is so.

When they’ve sent nastygram to resource members telling them that using their
resources outside the AFRINIC region is not permitted.

> I think multiple community members have in fact pretended so, not just

> wished. But not AFRINIC.

No, AFRINIC has done so as well. It’s a big part of how the lawsuit got started.

> Frank

> When did AFRINIC (even wish to) pretend that global (multiple

> continents) networks should be forced to have multiple sets of numbers?

When they started telling resource members that utilizing some or even most
of their numbers out of region was not permitted.