[rpd] Policy Proposal: in-region vs out-of-region use of resources, and restrictions thereon

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Jul 30 00:42:52 UTC 2021

> Anisi au 6 Acknowledge alinéa (b) on a:

> Having taken cognizance of the preamble of the present agreement, fully and unreservedly subscribe thereto with the clear understanding and acceptance of AFRINIC’s critical role in the stability and the continued evolution of the Internet as agreed by its members and the community in terms of adopted policies.

> Préambule

> a (vi) empowered to fulfill a stewardship role for those number resources allocated to it, for the use of the African Internet community as constituted by its members collectively;

> African internet community, not global internet community, not for use everywhere they want. Please any interpretation of this is out of scope.

Use by a service provider in the African Region to number their customer hosts qualifies here, regardless of where those customer hosts are located.

The service provider is a member of the African Internet community who is the resource member and the one with the contractual obligation here.

They are using the resources to number their customers’ hosts. Thus this test is met.

You might not like that fact, but it does fit within the text as written.

> Providing services outside Africa is in breach of this Agreement which is for to provide services in Africa.

No, To breach the agreement, you have to fail to provide services within Africa (specifically, anywhere within the AFRINIC service region).
So long as you provide any services within the region, providing additional services outside of the region is not precluded by the terms
below or the terms above.