[rpd] New Terms of Reference for the Policy Development Appeal Committee Published

Mimi dy dym5328 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 12:06:02 UTC 2021

Hello,

I want to react to the revised ToR regarding AFRINIC's Appeal Committee.

- Concerning the *AC composition*, as it is supposed to be composed of
individuals that should act objectively and provide their neutral point of
view without taking sides, the new provision implies the participation of
“a former Chairperson or Vice-Chairperson of the Board, which can
potentially lead to a conflict of interest and influence induced by the
Board of Directors through no fault of the AC. Additionally, since the
Board of Directors reserves the absolute right to dissolve and reconstitute
the AC as they see fit, it is no lie that they have the upper hand and
ultimate control of the AC's activities. Overall, it is likely for the AC’s
assessment to be biased by higher instances.

- Moving forward to the *Term of Service*, given the fact that the AC
members can be subject to reappointment after the end of their respective
terms, we can conclude that the Board of Directors can fill the seats as
they see fit/ in a manner that serves their interests. Therefore, the AC
remains obliged to display a twisted democracy and conceal their absolute
control, which is undoubtedly evident and obvious through these new
provisions (ToR).

- To conclude, the list of *Duties attributed to the AC *shows that their
power and legitimacy has been decreased or dismantled as an entity that
specializes in conflict resolution and provides expert insights when it
comes to policies and other matters. Although AFRINIC’s statement implies
that the AC should act fairly and per the CPM, it seems that the very
existence of this committee is to provide a democratic outlet for the
community to question the PDWG co-chairs decisions, which is totally
controlled by AFRINIC’s Board and operates solely within their interests.

In the hope of receiving proper explanations from AFRINIC...

Best,