[rpd] New Terms of Reference for the Policy Development Appeal Committee Published

Fernando Frediani fhfrediani at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 04:51:09 UTC 2021

Please find below my view of this just published ToR.

- I may be wrong but this version of the ToR doesn't seem to have
circulated in PDWG prior to its approval by Board Resolution. Although
this is not mandatory is it certainly a bad thing such is the importance
and affect it has on us all from community and how the PDWG works.

- In 1, b) why one of the seats has been reserved only to Chair or
Vice-Chair of the Board ? In which way other members of the Board are
different from the Board Chair or Vice-Chair? Are they less fitted to
serve in the AC ?
I think it may be a good thing to have 1 Board representative in the AC,
but it doesn't need to be that restricted to only Chair or Vice-Chair.
This is strange at minimal to say.

- Why there has been no seat at all for Community members, specially to
consider ex Co-chairs which certainly may have a fair amount of
experience to serve in the AC ?
In this ToR all 3 members of AC have a direct or indirect relation to
membership elected members and not even space for choosing a experienced
person from the Community if that person is not currently an elected
member of Board, ASO-AC or Governance Committee.

- I didn't understand very well the rational to have someone from ASO-AC
as a member of the Appeal Committee. It doesn't specify if from the
entire ASO-AC or only from the AfriNic ASO-AC selected members. If the
last case there is one of the three that is already appointed by the
Board. Would it be the case that person also be considered as well along
of the person already appointed from the Board, if not then there would
be only 2 possible names for the seat which is quiet restrict.

- In the line of the previous point reducing the number of AC seats from
5 to 3 in the current times with several appeals to be analyzed
increases the changes the AC can have difficulties to deliver its job
with impartiality and be less susceptible to tentative of external pressure.

- It is quiet obvious but in the try to simply the ToR may be good to
keep making clear enough that if a member of the appeal committee is
author or co-author of the a proposal which becomes subject to appeal,
this member of the AC must recuse himself from the deliberations.

- I think the last point (3) was a good one and make it clearer in order
to avoid doubt about the duty and prerogatives of the Appeal Committee
and that in no way substitutes the PDWG or its Co-Chairs in the
consensus process.

There I urge the Board of Directors of AfriNic to review this ToR before
selecting the new AC members, take in consideration the mentioned points
above and publish a revised version of the ToR with improvements that
can give more flexibility in composing the AC and open to more
possibilities of choosing experienced people to serve.

Regards
Fernando Frediani