[rpd] [Community-Discuss] ARIN without Owen Delong ?

Paschal Ochang pascosoft at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 11:33:40 UTC 2021

To all actors in this discussion I thought the PDWG chairs told us to
abandon this but some who claim to be oldies in the community continue show
disregard for constituted authority.

Now I push it back to the cochairs I want to see some barking and biting
not empty threats of caution. Your directive has been violated. Whats the
repercussion?

On Wednesday, July 14, 2021, Owen DeLong via Community-Discuss <
community-discuss at afrinic.net> wrote:

> [...]

>> often asked to pay attention to the PDP in those regions.

>> I am also someone with a strong sense of community service. As such,

>> since I am obliged to monitor the process for my client(s) anyway, I will

>> often work towards what I perceive as the best interests of the community

>> (regardless of whether it is best for my client or not) and I will often

>> advocate as such. In general, I select clients who are generally

>> ideologically aligned with me.

>> One exception is Cloud Innovation. While I am not ideologically 100% in

>> agreement with them and do not necessarily favor the current state of

>> policy which benefits them, I am even more concerned that the RIRs cannot

>> simply make up policy or randomly interpret policy to suit their

>> ideological goals and must, instead, follow the policy as written until it

>> is amended through the proper community process.

>> AFRINIC has a long history of corruption, election irregularities,

>> financial misdeeds, and failure to properly follow its own rules in both

>> its governance process and in its management of the IP registry database.

>> As such, I have maintained a high level of interest in AFRINIC’s doings in

>> an effort to do what I can to help resolve those issues.

>> Owen

>> On Jul 14, 2021, at 03:38 , DANIEL NANGHAKA <dndannang at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Dear Marcus,

>> I strongly agree, that there are policy updates from the other RIRs, what

>> is catching my interest at the moment is that Owen has been one of the very

>> active participants on PDP and I believe AFRINIC has a high level of

>> freedom of expression.

>> When he gives a reason that he wants to have greater freedom and

>> flexibility to advocate for changes in the internet community, some of

>> which would be considered a conflict of interest with his role as an

>> Advisory Council member. I begin to realise that Owen could have been

>> having a high conflict of interest which conflicted with his position on

>> the AC.

>> Dear Owen,

>> Owen, kindly advise how we could deal with the Conflict of Interest in

>> the PDP as you state it clearly in your reason. Furthermore, I still have

>> question marks as to why the AFRINIC PDP is of high interest to you - yet

>> the Policies discussed are for the development of the Internet in Africa.

>> Is something wrong with the AFRINIC PDP that stimulates high interest for

>> your participation in AFRINIC Process that the Africa participants have

>> failed to solve which requires your expertise?

>> Is ARIN more superior than AFRINIC?

>> Thanks

>> Daniel

>> On Wed, 14 Jul 2021 at 13:26, Marcus K. G. Adomey <madomey at hotmail.com>

>> wrote:

>>> Dear Owen and PDWG,

>>> I don’t think this is an off-topic. There are reasons why we always have

>>> session on “policy update from other RIRs” at every PPM…it’s like we care

>>> for what happened at ARIN PDP through its AC and possible impact on our

>>> PDP and related issues

>>> talking about “ was not forced to resign”? Nobody said so AFAIK, how

>>> come the position at ARIN constitute restraint to speech and why only now?

>>> And question for this community is how do we deal with conflict of

>>> interest in our PDP?

>>> Thanks

>>> Marcus

>>> ------------------------------

>>> 1. I chose to resign my position on the ARIN AC. I was not forced to

>>> resign. I did not have to resign.

>>> So your speculation is neither accurate, nor appropriate and the

>>> implications are offensive.

>>> 2. I chose to resign in order to have greater freedom and flexibility

>>> to advocate for changes in the

>>> internet community, some of which would be considered a conflict of

>>> interest with my role as

>>> an Advisory Council member. While I have been outspoken by most

>>> standards, the reality is

>>> that my position on the AC did serve as a significant restraint to my

>>> speech in many cases.

>>> The time has come where I felt the need to remove that restraint in

>>> order to best serve the

>>> community.

>>> Reading anything other than the above into it would be a mistake and

>>> further speculation is very

>>> unlikely to produce any accurate conclusions.

>>> If anyone has questions about my resignation, they are free to ask me

>>> directly, but this really is

>>> not an appropriate topic for this list.

>>> Owen

>>> On Jul 13, 2021, at 05:56 , Arnaud AMELINA <amelnaud at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> @Taiwo

>>> We all would like to know why Owen, so active in our PDP, has to resign

>>> from his position at ARIN AC which serves in an advisory capacity to the

>>> Board of Trustees on Internet number resource policy and related matters.

>>> --

>>> Arnaud

>>> Le lun. 12 juil. 2021 à 12:37, Taiwo Oye <taiwo.oyewande88 at gmail.com> a

>>> écrit :

>>> Benjilo.

>>> How is this of concern to you or to any of the members of the afrinic

>>> community. Kindly direct your question to the appropriate quarters -

>>> owen at delong.com -

>>> On Jul 11, 2021, at 19:27, Paschal Ochang <pascosoft at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Great question Daniel.

>>> On Sunday, July 11, 2021, DANIEL NANGHAKA <dndannang at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Is this worth discussing on the rpd or mailing lists?

>>> On Sun, Jul 11, 2021, 8:36 PM Marcus K. G. Adomey <madomey at hotmail.com>

>>> wrote:

>>> Hello

>>> Out of curiosity, does anyone know why Owen Delong active in AFRINIC

>>> PDP resigned from ARIN AC?

>>> https://www.arin.net/about/welcome/ac/meetings/2021_0617/ point 10

>>> Marcus

>>> Community-Discuss mailing list