[rpd] Unaddressed queries by AFRINIC during AGMM

Erick Joshua Lagon erickj.lagon at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 16:54:21 UTC 2021

RIRs are simply the managers of these IP address. Besides, we should
advocate for it in order to avoid idling these IP addresses. Why should we
restrict a resource in one region when it obviously outweighs all of the
cons of doing so?

Regards,
Erick

On Sat, Jul 10, 2021 at 4:59 PM Wijdane Goubi <goubi.wijdane at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,

> I find it strange that you continually accuse individuals of being

> something they are most likely not, and that you always resort to the

> argument that those who backed the inter-RIR are also advocating IP leasing.

> People fight for what they believe is best for them and the community.

> Instead of continuously blaming people, let us concentrate on the issue at

> hand by articulating the benefits and drawbacks.

> Mimi's remarks are really pertinent; can you give an example of a RIR that

> prohibits or actively opposes IP leasing?

> Finally, based on everything we've talked so far, I'm convinced that IP

> leasing is capable of resolving the current issue of IPv4 exhaustion.

> Cheers,

> Wijdane

> Le sam. 10 juil. 2021 à 02:18, Fernando Frediani <fhfrediani at gmail.com> a

> écrit :

>> Interesting that pretty much the same people who fought a battle to push

>> the controversial Inter-RIR proposal that had stuff added at the last time

>> with zero discussion and had no consensus at all are now strongly trying to

>> defend IP Leasing and usage out of the region as something "normal". What a

>> coincidence !

>> On 09/07/2021 21:14, Meriem Dayday wrote:

>> How about addressing the points I mentioned instead of repeating the same

>> statements over and over again?

>> Can you please give me a clear example of an RIR who bans IP leasing or

>> is explicitly against it ?

>> I think you are just refusing to digest REAL facts and repeating the same

>> song due to the lack of valid arguments.

>> Best,

>> Le sam. 10 juil. 2021 à 01:08, Fernando Frediani <fhfrediani at gmail.com>

>> a écrit :

>>> Unbelievable what an amount of absurd we have to cope with here

>>> sometimes. I guess that is s result of total lack of understanding of how

>>> things work and have always worked.

>>> If a resource holder has a fair amount of **unused IPs** these

>>> addresses MUST be returned back to AfriNic or transferred to another member

>>> who has justification for it, period. There is no middle term for that nor

>>> philosophical or beautiful words to make something different or noble.

>>> If any organization has to lease IPs in order to work it is already

>>> loosing because it could be a AfriNic member getting these same addresses

>>> directly from AfriNic from not a third part at a higher price.

>>> IP addresses are meant to build and develop internet ecosystem not to

>>> stay with an organization which does not use them and or be rented to

>>> someone else at a higher cost.

>>> It is also false information that all RIRs allow IP leasing.

>>> Please improve your basis to discuss certain matters and don't spread

>>> false information.

>>> On 08/07/2021 18:53, Mimi dy wrote:

>>> Hi Fernando,

>>> First, I find it important to remind you that the Internet is ONE.

>>> Moreover, the African region will immensely benefit from this activity,

>>> how? African ISPs/ network-holders can start leasing out unused IPs,

>>> creating a whole connectivity ecosystem, which primarily can help them

>>> generate more income, and more prominently, small scale enterprises/ tech

>>> start-ups…etc., will also thrive through IP leasing instead of dedicating a

>>> large portion of their capital to pay RIR membership fees. Additionally,

>>> the organizations that have the capacity to lease IP addresses to richer

>>> countries (i.e., Australia) will definitely generate an important profit

>>> that will be used for the striving of internet connectivity worldwide. If

>>> you do not see that as an economic growth incentive and a comparative

>>> advantage, I suggest you give it a second thought.

>>> As a matter of fact, all RIRs allow IP leasing, and inter-RIR resources

>>> transfer, because there is no harm in liberating number resources and

>>> allowing them to be globally transferrable. It is important to realize

>>> that, in this day and age, the whole concept of the Internet is rooted in

>>> openness, freedom and sharing, if you start elaborating restrictive laws

>>> and regulations, the internet will be no different from a communist

>>> government, which can lead to catastrophic repercussions.

>>> To sum up, number resources are valuable assets and should be used in a

>>> strategic and intelligent way, which can be beneficial for the whole

>>> Internet, while of course maintaining its cooperative nature.

>>> Best,