[rpd] [Community-Discuss] Unaddressed queries by AFRINIC during AGMM

Noah noah at neo.co.tz
Sun Jun 27 21:38:08 UTC 2021

Hey Ronald

On Sun, Jun 27, 2021 at 9:54 PM Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at tristatelogic.com>
wrote:

> In message <

> CAEqgTWb1Hr9qdSaefy+GM35aoxvbeK3kqFt++aRhJYjJd3UNng at mail.gmail.com>

> Noah <noah at neo.co.tz>wrote:

> >This is why I do not understand what my brother Paul is going on about and

> >I am trying to understand his view point because it does not make sense.

> I tried, in my usual long-winded way (which probably nobody bothered to

> read) to explain what I think is the basic underlying viewpoint.

I missed your previous email but I have since read it..... and to your
summarised points below.....

> Capitalism has, in general, and over a long period of time, shown itself

> to be a more efficient basis for the allocation of scarce resources.

> And when I say "more efficient" I mean relative to the alternative,

> which is to have some bureucratic "governmental" or "regulatory" authority

> deciding who should get what, based on some criteria *other than* who

> is willing to pay the highest price.

> This is NOT a small point.

I acknowledge and to that end, the regulatory authority being AFRINIC whom
some resource members turned brokers are saying, you don't have the
authority, but we do, and payment we make for membership has afforded us a
chunk of scarce resources that is priced at 30USD.

> After 70 years, the old Soviet system which

> was based on a so-called "command economy" which was run from the top

> down, fell apart under its own weight, largely because it was so grossly

> inefficient in the way it allocated resources. And there are many other

> and similar examples in history of "command economies" failing due to

> the mis-allocation of resources, where that mis-allocation itself was

> a product of nepotism, fraud, or just plain inept planning on the part

> of the state bureaucrats who were doing the allocating.

And we have learned that "perhaps" with the right policies in place, folks
can be held accountable.

> Pure capitalism may not work well in all circumstances, and it may fail

> to produce just and equitable outcomes that make allowances for widely

> endorsed social priorities (like keeping assests within some local region

> or assuring that non-profit organizations are not starved to death),

> but it is still usually preferable to having some uninvolved (and

> possibly uninformed, and possibly crooked) bureacrat doing all of the

> allocating of resources.

The looting of public resources never stops since no system is perfect, but
with each lesson, we improve for the better.

We have seen looters fight to block policies that can improve
accountability.

Noah