[rpd] APPEAL AGAINST THE CONFIRMATION OF CONSENSUS DECLARED BY THE POLICY LIAISON TEAM AND THE BOARD ON THE SELECTION OF PDWG CO-CHAIRS

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Jun 25 05:32:26 UTC 2021

Arnaud,

You express only one of two common law systems widely practiced around the world. In fact, you express the less prevalent of the two.

System 1: That which is not expressly forbidden is permitted.
This system is common throughout most of Europe, the United States, Canada, and much of Asia.
Notable locations where it is not practiced include Russia, China, Afghanistan, Iran, Syria and more.

System 2 (as you expressed): That which is not expressly permitted is forbidden.
This system is mostly practiced in countries with relatively limited civil rights and more oppressive regimes.

I don’t have a dog in the fight whether this appeal is legitimate or not and frankly, I don’t know. I do know that I think it would be
a terrible mistake for AFRINIC to start operating on the basis of System 2 and suggest that at least until this point, it has
generally operated on System 1, as do all of the other RIRs.

Owen