[rpd] Last Call - RPKI ROAs for Unallocated and Unassigned AFRINIC Address Space AFPUB-2019-GEN-006-DRAFT03.

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.com
Tue Jun 15 14:44:41 UTC 2021

On 6/15/21 11:46, Mark Elkins wrote:

> The less ways that are needed to achieve a goal, the less decisions

> (or suites of software) you need. If you are already using ROA & RPKI

> - then that solution will automatically block unallocated space, then

> you don't need to use something else to do that job (e.g. Team Cymru's

> BGP feeds - which I used to use).

The existing solutions do not have to be used in parallel with each
other. They can be used on their own.

But you still haven't answered my question, you've only answered why you
think using the RPKI would be an option. It's still not clear, to me
anyway, why the current solutions are not yielding the desired effect,
by whichever measure that applies to your specific operation.

In your case, are you able to share why you stopped using Team Cymru's
BGP feed?

> I would also have thought that what the RIR is doing would always be

> the most up to date (in real time) method of filtering unallocated RIR

> space.

Yes, AFRINIC would be the source of the information, in the same way
they are the source of IRR and WHOIS data.

Mark.