[rpd] Last Call - RPKI ROAs for Unallocated and Unassigned AFRINIC Address Space AFPUB-2019-GEN-006-DRAFT03.

Frank Habicht geier at geier.ne.tz
Tue Jun 8 06:01:54 UTC 2021

Hi

On 08/06/2021 01:45, Daniel Yakmut via RPD wrote:

> Hi,

> Are you postulating here that Resources not allocated are susceptible to

> hijack?

- resources are susceptible to hijack.
- if a ROA with AS0 was published for an unallocated resource, it would
be less susceptible to hijack.

> My other understanding is an RIR is a resource dispenser.

When I get my next resource from AfriNIC, I will prefer one that was not
previously hijacked and used for spamming and network abuse, and got
blacklisted and a bad reputation everywhere.

What about you?

Thanks,
Frank

> Simply

> Daniel

> On Mon, Jun 7, 2021, 11:30 PM Fernando Frediani <fhfrediani at gmail.com

> <mailto:fhfrediani at gmail.com>> wrote:

> AfriNic (or any other RIR) is the resource holder for IP space that

> IANA has allocated to it. So who else could secure that space until

> it is assigned to an organization issuing ROAs if not the current

> resource holder ?

> Must we have a policy accepted by either RIPE or ARIN first in order

> to accept it in AfriNic afterwards ?

> This is not a worry to the RIR, it is actually an additional

> guarantee that no one else will try to make usage of IP space under

> its responsability.

> Fernando

> On 07/06/2021 19:14, Daniel Yakmut via RPD wrote:

>> Dear Jordi,

>> Just out of curiosity why has RIPE and ARIN refused to adopt the

>> RPKI ROA and make it their responsibility that it is used by

>> resource holder?. I will agree that RPKI ROA is a good tool to

>> secure BGP routing, however I don't see as the responsibility of

>> an RIR to implement it.

>> My strong opinion is that any resource holder should be

>> responsible for securing its resources and if RPKI ROA is the best

>> way to prevent hijack, then it will enjoy patronage. Making it a

>> job of AfriNIC, will possibly be going over board.

>> Responding to my opening question, I believe RIPE and ARIN are not

>> keen on accepting your arguments because they are mundane. This

>> means resource holders should handle this issue, without making it

>> a worry of the RIR.

>> In this regard, AfriNIC should concentrate on handling other more

>> important issues, hence this policy is not relevant.

>> Simply

>> Daniel

>> On 07/06/2021 6:3pm, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via RPD wrote:

>>> Ni Mimi,____

>>> __ __

>>> No, is not ideological, the legal counsel already confirmed the

>>> being bookkeepers has many other **related** implications, such

>>> as provide a trustable source of accurate data, and this is what

>>> RPKI and AS0 improve.____

>>> __ __

>>> The fact that in RIPE has not been accepted yet is just one more

>>> excuse, if you compare it with the fact that the other TWO RIRs

>>> where it has been submitted (APNIC and LACNIC) accepted it and in

>>> none of those regions there have been any of the excuses and lack

>>> of knowledge about RPKI that we are hearing here. As I’ve

>>> explained already, I don’t think the RIPE chairs decision was

>>> correct, and we will make sure to resubmit the proposal there

>>> once a consistent appeal process is available, in case chairs

>>> take again a wrong decision. Also, then the experience in APNIC,

>>> LACNIC and AFRINIC will show that those motivations are

>>> ridiculous.____

>>> __ __

>>> From time to time is good that ARIN and RIPE aren’t the leaders,

>>> you don’t think so? It shows that very smart people exist in

>>> other regions as well!____

>>> __ __

>>> Once more, sometimes policies in one or the other region fail to

>>> reach consensus, but it happens sooner or later.____

>>> __ __

>>> If you have a simple and trustable tool such as RPKI to drop

>>> invalids, you have a better way (if you want) to avoid bad actors

>>> to use prefixes that don’t belong to them as they are still on

>>> the hands of AFRINIC. This is just facts. Not ideological, not

>>> opinions or personal view points. So yes, AS0 avoids, if you

>>> operate your network in a consistent way, to be faked with

>>> prefixes not allocated/assigned by AFRINIC, and thus helps to

>>> prevent hijacking.____

>>> __ __

>>> Regards,____

>>> Jordi____

>>> @jordipalet____

>>> __ __

>>> __ __

>>> __ __

>>> El 7/6/21 18:47, "Mimi dy" <dym5328 at gmail.com

>>> <mailto:dym5328 at gmail.com>> escribió:____

>>> __ __

>>> Dear WG,____

>>>  ____

>>> I think the issue here is ideological. Many people believe that

>>> RIRs are mere bookkeepers, and it is not in their mandate to

>>> inject data into the routing database. That is the reason why

>>> RIPE did not approve a similar proposal, which I totally agree

>>> with. Moreover, I wanted to react to Jordi’s statement, saying

>>> that these objections are based on practical and technical

>>> matters. There is not only one routing database, there are many,

>>> http://www.theipv6company.com <http://www.theipv6company.com>