[rpd] APPEAL AGAINST THE CONFIRMATION OF CONSENSUS DECLARED BY THE POLICY LIAISON TEAM AND THE BOARD ON THE SELECTION OF PDWG CO-CHAIRS

Emem William dwizard65 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 09:22:05 UTC 2021

Dear Jaco,

I will advise that you and your misguided cohorts refrain from unnecessary
rantings that is capable of heating up the mailing list.

I submitted a request to the appeal committee; every rational fellow should
be able to wait patiently for the committee's decision without trying to
further complicate the issues on ground.

One important thing that I sincerely want you to know is: *I have never
made the mistake of arguing with persons for who's opinions I have no
regards.*

Have a nice weekend!

Cheers,
Emem William.

On Sat, Apr 24, 2021, 08:34 Jaco Kroon <jaco at uls.co.za> wrote:

> [...]

> experience to be able to provide guidance and vision. To build. To

> strengthen. So keep to your ideals, but learn from them.

> Now, instead of discussing philosophical politics and differences (not to

> say it's not important to understand these), can we please get back to

> discussing policy making? We are after all supposed to be the *Policy*

> *D*evelopment *W*orking *G*roup.

> Kind Regards,

> Jaco

> On 2021/04/23 21:08, Emem William wrote:

> Dear Eddy,

> I would also like to suggest that you organise a webiner for some old

> folks on how to handle things in a multistakeholder environment. I see the

> need to enlighten them on the fact that a 'market' has many entrance. More

> importantly you need to educate them that there are new and better ways of

> doing things.

> They should not continue to live in thier old shadows because we are in a

> modern world where all animals are now becoming equal. They need not

> exhibit thier ignorance and think they can continue to dominate the others

> and label them 'new'.

> More importantly, you need to teach them that in a land where there are

> rules, the rules has to be followed; not an attempt circumvent the rules,

> by old folks to cheat the younger ones all in the name of "*being old*".

> It's not by age anymore. Probably Mark should suggest '*All animals

> are equal, Face or No face'.*

> This, I believe will restore the long lost sanity in AFRINIC.

> Cheers,

> Emem William

> On Fri, Apr 23, 2021, 17:34 Noah <noah at neo.co.tz> wrote:

>> Hi Eddy and Chair

>> Can AfriNIC perhaps through the Stakeholder Engagement department

>> increase its efforts on running quartely webinars for new members of our

>> community. I have been reading emails in recent weeks from folks who I

>> believe to be new members of the PDWG who could do with some capacity

>> building.

>> This will go on to reduce the level of ignorance among the new members of

>> the community especially around the Policy Development Process.

>> Some sort of orientation program similar to the one AfriNIC provides to

>> its fellows each year who attended physical meetings but instead run it

>> remotely via webinars.

>> In my humble opinion.

>> Noah

>> On Fri, 23 Apr 2021, 16:26 Fernando Frediani, <fhfrediani at gmail.com>

>> wrote:

>>> Hello Jaco

>>> Thanks for this excellent and necessary lesson.

>>> Every time I see the word democracy trying to be used in PDWG I feel the

>>> same lack of understanding by some.

>>> Some need to understand that just by a certain number of people voicing

>>> their wish for something isn't just enough to make something happen as

>>> things are not decided by a majority of voices.

>>> Fernando

>>> On 23/04/2021 09:56, Jaco Kroon wrote:

>>> Hi Okoye,

>>> I think you're confusing the concept of democracy and a consensus based

>>> approach.

>>> In a democracy, the majority (or largest individual sub group) get what

>>> they want, irrespective of whether it's right or wrong. The premise behind

>>> a democracy is two-fold: those that we appointed will action in the form

>>> of an autocracy that which they have pitched in their run-up (failure to do

>>> so generally leads to unrest, and even if they follow exactly that if it's

>>> not to the betterment of the larger group will at least be met with

>>> resistance by the minority), and will stick to exactly that and not become

>>> power hungry, and the larger believe is that the majority knows best and

>>> are right in their believes. Of course this is an

>>> idealogical/philosophical statement, for which there are many other

>>> wordings, the base premise is: the majority rules, right or wrong. A

>>> democracy only works if the elected leaders of the majority has the best

>>> interests of community as a whole at heart, otherwise it becomes an

>>> oppression of minority by the majority.

>>> In a consensus based approach, it's more strict, the majority cannot

>>> simply enforce their arbitrary will. But at the same time the minority can

>>> get their way. It's about addressing problems in such a way that the right

>>> thing will happen, irrespective of emotional influence and state of mind.

>>> In some cases we can delegate to a democratic based decision (ie, vote) *if

>>> we so choose*. As was the original proposal until I filed two motions:

>>> 1. That we select two of the three eligible candididates (as per the

>>> criteria that the group have conceded to which eliminated the other three

>>> candidates, and AK based on the fact that he was the previously recalled

>>> chair). AK subsequently pulled out leaving us with only two eligible

>>> candidates, and based on no valid objections that was raised, they were

>>> then on the basis of consensus elected.

>>> 2. That the appointments are made for one and two years respectively,

>>> but there were objections against this, so as I've got it this was

>>> accepted, but this could still potentially be changed at the PPM such that

>>> one term will end during the PPM and the other will run for a further year.

>>> Against the first item there were (as far as I could tell) no valid

>>> objections, just emotional outbursts, against the latter there were some

>>> "this is a variation of the accepted CPM" which could be deemed to be

>>> valid, and I also conceded that I've got no objection if this decision is

>>> postponed to the PPM, but it does make things more difficult for the newly

>>> elected chairs since their position going forward is unclear.

>>> My request is thus in short to not confuse a democracy with a consensus

>>> system(much more strict than a democracy since one person that raises a

>>> *valid* objection against a proposal can stop the thousand, in theory).

>>> But in the same sense, the thousand cannot stop the one unless they can

>>> raise a valid objection.

>>> The PDWG is not a democracy.

>>> Kind Regards,

>>> Jaco

>>> On 2021/04/23 14:12, Okoye Somtochukwu wrote:

>>> Dear Community,

>>> In my opinion, I believe we should have a chance to appeal and contest

>>> the boards' decisions on the selection of co-chairs. A democratic

>>> government does not function when citizens are deprived of their right to

>>> free speech, protests tec. in the same vein, we should also have a say in

>>> appealing against the decision made by the board against the co-chairs.

>>> Also, The appeal against the board on the selection of the co-chairs is

>>> valid. Although it is only rational that we look into this issue and try to

>>> assess the situation as it is. This is because, although the board has

>>> acted in carrying out its duties and that of the co-chairs, I don't feel it

>>> is right for the board to have a consensus regarding the selection of the

>>> co-chairs.

>>> wrote:

>>> --

>>> Kind regards,