[rpd] Policy Development Working Group co-Chairs selection

Paschal Ochang pascosoft at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 20:59:50 UTC 2021

Exactly my point. There has been a total disregard for the load down
procedures as I have echoed over and over again. The actions of the board
is beginning to generate misconceptions of a sinister plot due to lack of
regard for the clear laid down procedures. This actions will give room for
future arguments using the current lack of adherence as reference points. I
think this announcement is hasty and sounds more like a stamped enforcement.

On Saturday, April 10, 2021, Owen DeLong via RPD <rpd at afrinic.net> wrote:

> > On Apr 10, 2021, at 10:20 , chair at afrinic.net wrote:

> > Dear Policy Development Working Group,

> > The Board of Directors would like to congratulate the Policy Development

> Working Group (PDWG) on taking a consensus-based approach for the selection

> of PDWG co-Chairs.

> > The Board considered the provisions of the Consolidated Policy Manual

> with respect to the selection of PDWG co-Chairs and the staggered terms for

> the PDWG co-Chairs. The Board would like to confirm its approval, as an

> exceptional measure, to have Mr Vincent Ngundi and Mr Darwin da Costa

> complete the term of the last Co-Chairs and further serve a duration

> required to make a 2 year and 1 year term respectively.

> Excuse me, but where in the CPM or the bylaws did the board get the

> authority to approve or deny this at all? Why is the board putting its

> thumb on the scales of something which, IMHO, is still under active

> discussion in the working group. While I agree that there appears to be an

> evolving community consensus around this choice, the process does not seem

> complete at this time and even if it were, I see no basis for the board to

> intervene. Instead, once community has come to consensus, the policy

> liaison group from staff, if anyone outside of the PDWG, should recognize

> this determination of consensus and put it to something like a last call

> from the working group itself.

> Once again, the board as an exceptional measure throws the rules out the

> window and makes it up as they go along.

> We as a community must stop tolerating such actions.

> Owen

Kind regards,

Paschal.