[rpd] Call for interest for PDWG chairs closed & Way forward

Daniel Yakmut yakmutd at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 9 12:03:13 UTC 2021

Inset

On 09/04/2021 12:30 pm, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via RPD wrote:

> Hi Daniel,

> We can't, following the PDP, select the co-chairs to complete the tenure of both of the recalled ones. Unless I recall the dates incorrectly, at least one of them should be re-elected by the next meeting and that means doing it already now. I may be wrong on this, just speaking from top of my head.

That was what I was asking at the onset. But the document published by
the secretariat said otherwise, It was clear that what we were to do was
to select/elect/nominate co-chairs to serve out the tenure of the
recalled co-chairs, if refer to the initial communication of the PWDG
Secretariat, you will see the intend that was to serve as the guide for
the process.

The Secretariat has  not communicated new changes. Then what we are
attempting to do now is making changes on our feet. Again I want us to
agree that we are changing rules and decisions mid way.

I am sounding this, so that tomorrow, it will not be considered bad to
do that again.

> In fact, following this, one of them will be elected by the standard PDP, but will need to wait for the next meeting to take the seat. That will mean that we elect only one that need to handle alone, all the possible policy proposals. Do you really think that makes sense for a 45-50 days of difference?

> That's why I've proposed a "possible" policy change to address this special situation: "restart of timings when co-chairs are recalled". It is an unprecedent situation, I think we all agree on that.

Regardless of the unprecedented situation, we must learn to think
through our decisions. I will like to see a communication altering the
period for the new co-chairs. If you will notice we are conducting the
selection ahead of the commencement of their "tenure".