[rpd] Eligibility Criteria for PDWG chairs

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Thu Apr 1 10:55:26 UTC 2021

Hi Anthony,

When an author submits a policy proposal, he/she knows up-front, that there is not a timing for it to reach consensus. It depends on the community decision. It may never happen. If you think that you may be willing to serve as a chair, you need to think on that as well. When someone is willing to serve to the community, the truly intent is to “serve”, so that means you should not mind to serve “now” or in a future term, when your proposal is done.

Instead, what you’re asking to do, is to have only “half” of the co-chairs team or an interim co-chair, in a temporary situation, which of course, can take years to be resolved. This is not “today” in our PDP, so we can’t make use of it. If we want that to happen, we need a policy proposal that explicitly sets a solution for that situation.

Even if we have such policy reaching consensus, the result for that is that we end-up selecting a co-chair that is unable to serve because conflict of interest. Is that wise?

Remember that the reason to have 2 chairs (co-chairs) is to have a more balanced view, even to ensure that if one of the co-chairs fails for whatever reasons, another is still there. So allowing a co-chair to be “out of function” because conflict of interest, makes the “co-chair setup” useless if we have only 2 of them. As I mention before, if we decide to have a “bunch” of them, then the situation may be different, but then we have a new problem, which is, given the small number of folks participating and contributing, more co-chairs, means less “active participants” in the discussions.

Regards,

Jordi

@jordipalet