[rpd] Appeal Committee Response - Re: (Fwd) Appeal Committee status

Ibeanusi Elvis ibeanusielvis at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 22:42:07 UTC 2021

Hello community,

As elucidated by Anthony which I support, the essential duty of the Appeal
Committee is to converge and preside over all appeals brought before them
and to their knowledge.
Like the I earlier stated, halting the Appeal Committee from performing
their duties not only goes against the ToR but it is also wrong to do such.
And I see no reason why the reminding Appeal Committee member of 3
shouldn’t be allowed to conclude their duties.

Best regards,
Elvis.

On Sat, Feb 20, 2021 at 7:10 Wijdane Goubi <wijdan.goubi at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

>> Appeal, and AFRINIC in general.

>> The prerogative of the AC is as stipulated under the AFRINIC Policy

>> Development Appeal Committee Terms of Reference subsection 3.3.1, & 3.3.4

>> on which it must comply, and, the ToR's stipulations are very clear.

>> It states under, subsection 3.3. (Terms):

>>> ToR 3.3.1:

>>> “The Board has the right to replace any or all Appeal Committee members

>>> at any time. Such decision of the Board must be by at least three-quarters

>>> of the Board”

>>> ToR 3.3.4:

>>> “In the event that an appeal is in progress at a time when the Board

>>> considers replacement of any or all Appeal Committee members, then the

>>> Board should delay any such replacement until such time as there is no

>>> appeal in progress; except that, if there continue to be appeals in

>>> progress after six (6) months, then the Board shall not delay any longer.”

>> Both the above wording read together is consistent with the decisions

>> achieved by the AC, that the AC shall perform their pending duties and,

>> ensure the resolution of the current appeal before leaving their post. This

>> is their duty and we applaud the fact that the AC is willing to ensure the

>> performance of their duties before going through with their resignation.

>> Nevertheless, I find the Board’s instruction to pause the function of the

>> Appeal Committee to be wrongful, as I do not see what is capable of

>> stopping a perfectly odd number of 3 members of the Appeal Committee(AC)

>> from functioning. As explained in subsection 3.3.4 of the ToR, the Board

>> should restrain itself from pausing the Appeal Committee’s function when

>> there are appeals in progress. Also, the fact that the appeals in progress

>> have not even been more than 6 months, I do not see the logic of even

>> stopping the Appeal Committee from continuing to convene to perform its

>> duties.

>> The fact that the Board, despite the AC’s agreement to continue with

>> their duties and sit for the remaining appeal, still insists on a

>> replacement and, halting the entire appeal process raises doubts on what

>> the intention of the board is.

>> "What is the Board trying to do?"

>> I understand that interference is warranted when the situation demands

>> it, however, at this juncture, it can be perceived that the board is more

>> interested in replacing the members of the AC rather than getting the

>> appeals at hand resolved. This projects as though the Board's aim and

>> priorities are not resolving the issues. This as a whole is a serious

>> concern that I believe the community should consider.

>> This is my position.

>> *Best Regards,*

>> *UBAH ANTHONY*

>> On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 9:06 AM Dr P Nyirenda <paulos at sdnp.org.mw> wrote:

>>> Board Chair, AFRINIC,

>>> The Appeal Committee (AC) held its scheduled meeting on Thursday, 18 Feb

>>> 2021, online

>>> https://afrinic.net/policy/appeal-committee#appeals that

>>> are subject to ToR Section 3.3.4 and hence the AC awaits further

>>> directions from the PDWG

>>> and/or the Board.

>>> Regards,

>>> Dr Paulos B Nyirenda