[rpd] RPKI ROAs for Unallocated and Unassigned AFRINIC Address Space AFPUB-2019-GEN-006-DRAFT02

Ben Maddison benm at workonline.africa
Tue Feb 16 13:01:28 UTC 2021

Hi Owen,

On 02/16, Owen DeLong wrote:

> [snip]

> > Thus, any suggestion that this policy makes *re-allocation* of resources

> > easier is bogus. It *only* helps to clean up bogons.

> Except that it’s not really bogus… The fact that things go invalid from time T1 to time T2

> means that there is a hard inability for 65000 to squat on the space effectively during that

> time and makes it more likely that they will more quickly stop trying to use/announce that

> space.

> By doing so, that will actually make it easier to functionally reallocate the space to a new

> holder as it will create a greater likelihood of cease and desist by the previous holder.

No, that's exactly what I'm saying. Not greater, merely earlier. And on
the timescales at which new allocations are put into production, earlier
doesn't matter to the new resource holder.

Of course, that is only true if 65001 doesn't create a new ROA. If not,
65000 (or whoever else) is back in the game at T2 anyway.

Cheers,

Ben