[rpd] PDWG situation without co-chairs

Dewole Ajao dewole at forum.org.ng
Tue Feb 9 09:47:20 UTC 2021

The proposed election process may have been workable if we did not
already have contention over an unusual/unexplained surge in mailing
list registrations a couple of moons ago. Setting a cut off date before
that surge then cuts off some real humans that joined the mailing list
after the surge. What to do?

Dewole.

On 2/9/2021 10:13 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:

> [...]

> If you aren’t familiar with ranked-choice voting,

> https://ballotpedia.org/Ranked-choice_voting_(RCV)

> <https://ballotpedia.org/Ranked-choice_voting_(RCV)>

> provides good detail.

> Essentially, the votes are counted in consecutive rounds, starting

> with everyone’s first choice.

> The candidate receiving the lowest percentage vote in each round is

> eliminated and their votes

> are transferred to the next choice of each voter who had contributed

> to their total votes.

> In this case, since we are electing two co-chairs, once the first

> candidate reaches a ≥50%

> majority in the ranked-choices, they should be selected to serve out

> the longer term and

> the next-highest ranked candidate should be selected to serve out the

> shorter term.

> Even this process will take time, but I think we should have a

> deliberate process and a proper election

> for the fairness of all.

> Owen

>> On Feb 9, 2021, at 00:16 , Dewole Ajao via RPD <rpd at afrinic.net

>> <mailto:rpd at afrinic.net>> wrote:

>> Actually there is no king in the PDP, fortunately or unfortunately.

>> Hopefully though, the market will be coordinated as best possible

>> using the untested rules we have to work with in this case.

>> My take:

>> PDP (section 3.5) says a co-chair may be recalled (with request and

>> justification sent to the board of directors); Logically, the recall

>> process ends in either recall of the co-chair or continuation of

>> his/her term. That's all that the conflict resolution section states

>> and as such we will have to go to another part of the PDP that makes

>> mention of a truncated co-chair term.

>> The applicable section (i.e. 3.3) says the Working Group may select a

>> replacement to serve the remainder of the term. Given the current

>> polarized state of this working group, perhaps Afrinic staff under

>> the guidance of the CEO and some advisory from the Board (being the

>> representatives of resource members) could convene an online meeting

>> in which the working group properly analyzes the situation and

>> chooses a path forward?

>> Considering our current fear of room stacking ahead of either face to

>> face and online polls, it would be interesting to see how we resolve

>> this one. Is this the birth of a PDWG led by a small group rather

>> than 2 individuals? A group given a mandate to somehow tidy up many

>> of the flaws in the current PDP?

>> Regards,

>> Dewole who quickly runs off to get a flame retardant suit :-P

>> On 2/9/2021 7:17 AM, Daniel Yakmut via RPD wrote:

>>> I don't agree Fernando, a committee does not usually have that

>>> 'absoluteness' you mentioned. I can also understand the remarks

>>> 'Findings/Outcome of the Recall Committee' to mean that there is a

>>> hanging process.

>>> Please, the committee's outcome remains that the Co-Chairs should be

>>> recalled. There must be a pronouncement from the board that

>>> constituted the Recall committee. This is not a market square so we

>>> cannot take the 'shout of a mad man in the market to mean the

>>> proclamation of the king'. The king must speak through the

>>> authorised channel, before the people can accept.

>>> Therefore, we wait!

>>> Simply

>>> Daniel

>>> RPD mailing list