[rpd] Clarifying a few points

S. Moonesamy sm+af at afrinic.net
Tue Dec 15 14:42:49 UTC 2020

Dear Jordi,
At 01:17 AM 15-12-2020, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via RPD wrote:

>[Jordi] I'm happy if you want to organize a conference call to

>clarify everything.

I'll contact you off-list.

I'll respond to some of points from another email. Please ignore the
first link. There were recurring comments about "ICP-2". That
document details criteria for the creation of new RIRs. There is
some confusion about how the Internet Numbers Registry System
works. The third link was a reference to the text which I refer to
one in a while.

I assumed that there might be some problem when I read your complaint
about Section 5. I did not identify it on a first pass. I'll have
to analyze the text again again to be able to comment about the mistake.

>[Jordi] That's doesn't matter. We continuously make mistakes, that

>are only discovered after a while. This is the reason we update

>laws, change procedures, amend protocols, etc., etc. As I've

>repeatedly said, I'm sure that the board that wrote and adopted the

>ToR did that in good faith, but they missed the point that there are

>sections of the ToR that are re-interpreting the PDP and that means

>that you need to update the PDP, via the PDP itself, not publish

>additional documents.

I don't remember who wrote the document.

>[Jordi] It is not a matter of usual practice. I understand that some

>parts of the ToR are "internal" because they are under the mandate

>of the PDP to the board to create the Appeal Committee and no

>further details on that. So, I'm personally fine (in principle) with

>section 2, 3 and 4 (1 is just an intro), but section 5 is

>*interpreting* the PDP in a different way as I can read it (and I'm

>not alone on this). Section 5 is asking for additional details and

>imposing additional restrictions to the text of the PDP. That means

>the PDP is being, in fact, modified, without using the PDP, which is

>the only *valid* way to do that.

The document is scheduled for discussion around February 2021.

>[Jordi] I fail to understand the relation of that email with this

>topic. Just in case I can guess what you mean, have you read my

>response to the Legal Counsel?

>https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/rpd/2020/012123.html The Board

>has many choices, for example, delay the ratification of the policy

>until the appeals are completed, withdraw the section 5 of the ToR

>(this will not affect any existing or future appeal), if they

>believe 5 is right, then send a policy proposal for that, etc.,

>etc.. You can do this in many combinations, any of those will work.

I did not mean that Section 5 falls under "General business practices
..." It may be better to determine what is in scope, what is out of
scope for policy development, and the reasoning for that decision.

>By the way there is a very important typo there: It is not the same

>Internet as internet. In this case it is clear that it should be

>Internet, as we are talking about "public" resources, not the

>"private" parts of the networks.

There was some discussion of the above outside this service region.

At 01:40 AM 15-12-2020, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via RPD wrote:

>[Jordi] Do you mean that the chairs haven't requested the Board to

>ratify the policies?

Yes.

>Is that when the chairs declared consensus, after the last call,

>they have sent it to the board, I guess via the policy officer, etc.

>Can you clarify if that didn't happen? Is this a chairs lack of

>action or staff mistake or delay in some way?

The Board did not receive any email requesting it to ratify a policy
proposal. I don't know what could have happened.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

Board Chair, AFRINIC