[rpd] REQUEST TO RECALL THE AFRINIC PDWG CO-CHAIRS

Gaby Giner gabyginernetwork at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 06:19:20 UTC 2020

Everyone,

Most of the arguments advanced are irrelevant and completely out of the
context of the nature of the demand to recall the co-chairs. Therefore, it
would make the whole request null and invalid.

*Part A:*

This part does not have any violations or dishonest acts done by any of the
co-chairs. They have had no influence whatsoever on neither the meeting
participants nor their reaction (which I don't see the relevance here
anyway). This looks like a normal election process to me, not only in this
particular field but for everything and everywhere else in the world.
Stating otherwise is either naïve or just clueless. Also, protests from a
losing party look like a normal reaction to me in an election, some more
sore than others as evidenced by recent presidential elections in the US,
but I digress. All of the points made in this part are wholly immaterial
and should be dismissed.

*Part B :*

1.)

I noticed you keep basing your arguments on "it was observed", "Observed by
a participant" and "Following the suspicions". Serious accusations should
be based on actual proof and precise arguments: not guesses, suspicions,
and some anonymous witnesses and vague insinuations. Anyone can come up
with scenarios if they are unfounded and unproven, especially if they are
about events that have occurred a very long time ago but were not reported
at the exact time. What makes it the best moment now? And why didn't you
ask to recall the co-chairs back then if you had all the necessary proof?
This makes absolutely no sense because if your intentions are as honest as
you claim they are, this should have been handled a while ago and not right
after the same community reelected one of the same co-chairs.

Nevertheless, this is a blatant interference in two people's personal life.
I hope this behavior won't start encouraging individuals to begin following
co-chairs to hotels and anywhere else outside the PPM conference room. We
are talking about two people who were brave enough to volunteer to do a job
that starts and ends inside the PPM room and in the mailing list. Whatever
else they do in their private time shouldn't be of anyone's concern and has
nothing to do with their work integrity.

2.)

There isn't anything wrong with the video, and nothing you have stated
appears to exist. I think you are the one that interpreted the meeting in a
biased way. The co-chairs simply gave recommendations that they think favor
the community and are related to managing the PDP, which is totally in
their scope. As long as it's not enforced, then no harm is intended nor
done.

3.)

The rpd list in an open space where individuals are free to respond,
converse, and argue. As long as no offense or attacks are intended, the
freedom to defend oneself should not be censored just because "seniors" as
you call it, are involved. Particularly when we all know that there has
been a serious history of bullying and unfounded accusations on the list.
I'm starting to feel weary of this back-and-forth on this matter, but
nevertheless it is still worth reiterating—the RPD list is a fair space
where all individuals are equal, and everyone's input is welcome. So your
personal feelings should not interfere in your judgment on the work and
integrity of the co-chairs, nor in your request to recall them.

*Part C :*

As far as I know, the community handled both the online meeting and
election process matters. It is not the co-chair's duty to handle this sort
of thing but rather the community members by vote. They only had to manage
the discussions and take into consideration the opinions, which they
correctly did. Therefore, section (1) is utterly wrong.

For the rest, let me summarize it like this :

All of this seems very suspicious and makes me think that there is some
personal motive or agenda behind this request. If the community was
discontented with the current co-chairs, it could have easily prevented
Abdul Kareem to be reelected again, which was not the case.

*"The co-chairs continue to ignore the numerous calls to them to take the
proposal back for further discussions."* This is absolutely not true, and
it can easily be proven if you just take the time to go back to the
additional comments. The co-chairs have gone back and forth to satisfy the
community's concerns and have extended the policy's discussion time. So did
the authors who have managed to resolve every issue and improve the policy,
but lately no one seemed to have any new or further objections. Logically
this would convince the co-chairs to finally give the go signal for the
proposal because it can't be stuck forever with the same people who were
raising concerns being suddenly quiet. There is no logic at all, and the
procedure was followed according to protocol. Therefore, the argument is
not valid.

Saying that the co-chairs violated the PDP by suggesting amendments to
proposals is no violation in itself because the CPM never mentioned
explicitly that they are not allowed to do so. The co-chairs again are
within their scope.

The WG is managed by the CPM, which is very clear about the PDP. You have
mentioned several times arguments about violations of the PDP etcetera
without stating what and where it contradicts what the CPM says. Unless you
do that, I don't see the validity of all the related arguments. You can't
judge what a violation is based on whether it aligns with your personal
agenda or not. There are rules and instructions that have been created to
be followed and not subjectively interpreted.

Finally, I totally understand your discontentment with the whole situation
since the transfer policies were in a tough competition and since you are
the authors of the other proposal. You can be unsatisfied for as long as
you can, but let me say that it is no valid excuse or justification to make
an unfounded request to recall the co-chairs whose sole job is to manage
the PDP. Not only the arguments are invalid and biased, but there is no
actual proof to support the claims and accusations, so I urge the board to
look into this urgently and dismiss it. Otherwise, the PDP and the AFRINIC
community will no longer be the same, which will be a shame.

Thanks, Gaby

On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 11:51 AM lucilla fornaro <
lucillafornarosawamoto at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

>> Finally, in addition to the fact that this request is compounded with

>> emotional statements, lack of concrete evidence and biases; with the person

>> behind this request as well as the listed signatories of this request, i

>> can firmly adhere to the ideology that this request was specifically made

>> out of emotional sentiments and self-indulgent feeling of sadness due to

>> the result/outcome and the rightful procedures taken of the well-debated

>> ‘Inter-RIR Policy Proposal’ which had three conflicting proposals.

>> Best regards,

>> Elvis

>> On Nov 18, 2020, at 21:04, Wijdane Goubi <goubi.wijdane at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Dear community,

>> I have read the recall document and have found it based on very

>> subjective and personal reasons, which makes sense in a way because of how

>> the last policy that has reached consensus, was in a constant competition

>> with other related proposals.

>> First of all, as far as I can remember, the co-chairs have always asked

>> the community to give decent explanations of what raises their concerns,

>> but instead, there were constant personal attacks, unrelated subjects and

>> arguments and no more unaddressed concerns.

>> Dragging the co-chairs and accusing them of some serious accusations just

>> because one proposal reached consensus and others did not, proves again

>> that this recall is based on personal guesses and speculations with no

>> discrete, distinguished and notable reasons.

>> Our community seems not to be, sadly enough, a stress-free working

>> environment. The co-chairs always have to deal with targets set by the

>> community, and *these targets are often hard to achieve,* which creates

>> a lot of pressure on them.

>> I substantially believe that the co-chairs are not taking a side and are

>> perfectly respecting one of the most important values in the CPM which is

>> fairness. They care enough to assess their performance by respecting the

>> CPM, Not taking sides but actually discussing each policy on its own and

>> most importantly giving enough time to solve the community’s concerns.

>> I strongly believe that what we do need more is to be objective in the

>> way we judge things, and actually stop having unfair opinions in order to

>> have more clarity, lack of bias, and often transparent obviousness of the

>> truth.

>> Cheers,

>> Le mer. 18 nov. 2020 à 10:03, Taiwo Oyewande <taiwo.oyewande88 at gmail.com>

>> a écrit :

>>> I will like to believe that the recall request sent to the board is to

>>> permit a form of election for the community to either vote to remove or

>>> retain the serving co chairs. As the board didn’t vote/ appoint the

>>> cochairs therefore, they have no powers to remove them.

>>> This recall seems like an attempt to hijack the community through the

>>> back door. I can see that the petition was signed by

>>> 1. one person who lost elections in Kampala to the current Co-chairs,

>>> 2. authors of competing proposal with our Inter RIR policy,

>>> 3. a member whose right was suspended after he violated the CoC.

>>> 4. A member who shamefully made frivolous allegation in Uganda using a

>>> fake profile among others.

>>> This list of petitioners makes me wonder if this is a personal vendetta.

>>> The petition to me borders around the co chairs using initiative to take

>>> decisions. It seems that some party “the power brokers” are aggrieved that

>>> they are not been consulted before the co chairs make decisions

>>> Another funny allegation is that the co chairs wasted the time of the

>>> community by not passing policies in Angola - this is a misleading argument

>>> as discussing policies to improve them is never a waste of time.

>>> Unfortunately when they decided to make sure that polices are resolved

>>> during the last PPM. The exact same people complained.

>>> I guess the co-chairs can never do right in their sight.

>>> Finally, as one of the authors of the competing proposals in Angola. I

>>> will like to clearly state that the co-chairs sent all authors of competing

>>> policy proposals to try and consolidate the policies. My co-author and i

>>> had several meeting with Jordi but the authors of the third proposal

>>> totally refused the offer to join heads to produce one proposal. This now

>>> makes me wonder how they derived the claim that the co-chairs tried to

>>> force the consolidation when they where not even present.

>>> I will like to clearly state that the co-chairs did not interfere in our

>>> meetings. Hence the call on stage in Angola to find out our resolve from

>>> the said meeting.

>>> My input.

>>> Kind regards.

>>> Taiwo

>>> company:

>>> without merit.

>>> co-chairs, the following problems exist with the PDF provided to the

>>> community (this may not be a comprehensive list, but it certainly covers

>>> enough to indicate that the PDF is not a basis for removal of the

>>> co-chairs):

>>> participate in AfriNIC, in fact

>>> and failure to elect a

>>> Indeed, the supposed

>>> to one of the two

>>> the AfriNIC virtual

>>> co-chairs in celebration of

>>> occurred after the

>>> of the election.

>>> of the community.

>>> that were elected

>>> blatant attempt to

>>> the authors’ intended

>>> a hotel for

>>> to be claiming that

>>> didn’t do so and

>>> with a response,

>>> to a hotel hardly

>>> meal or a drink or two

>>> a social life merely

>>> through any ex-parte

>>> indicated by the

>>> back.”

>>> incapability or incompetence.

>>> authors of two competing

>>> together to consolidate

>>> authors which the chairs

>>> think was appropriate

>>> difficult judgment call

>>> well short of the point

>>> harm to the PDP in their

>>> co-chairs, especially the AS0

>>> legitimacy of their

>>> same set of facts and/or

>>> consensus. A co-chair that

>>> proposal should absolutely

>>> consensus is not fatal or

>>> need to continue their

>>> further discussion on the

>>> objections. In some cases, it may

>>> don’t think that applies

>>> perfectly valid outcome.

>>> mechanism for the community to

>>> because it is simply

>>> AfriNIC PDP. That failure

>>> community for so long.

>>> appeal of the co-chairs

>>> formed appeal, yet they

>>> proposals aren’t advanced.

>>> the values of the RIR

>>> objections was more about

>>> the co-chairs.

>>> intransigent proposal

>>> to “retire” or “go away”,

>>> referenced, I think they

>>> would indicate. I also

>>> minority including (perhaps even

>>> leading up to it makes the

>>> Taking the messages out of

>>> with the PDP and WG

>>> running the WG than many of

>>> of neutrality” rises

>>> evidence or even a solid

>>> removal. You’ve shown

>>> that said bias impacted

>>> others are relevant

>>> suspected wrongdoing, not

>>> before AfriNIC-32? Almost

>>> way or another during

>>> result of a virus which

>>> have lost friends and/or

>>> a friend or a loved one.

>>> circumstance and to

>>> of co-chairs would be

>>> co-chairs had selected

>>> to some form of demonstration

>>> presented without evidence.

>>> record. It provides no information

>>> co-chairs.

>>> may have occurred

>>> coordination and

>>> including a PDWG

>>> scope for the co-chairs

>>> obtaining answers from

>>> the questions authors

>>> the behavior of other

>>> his/her duties in a

>>> would be inappropriate

>>> improper performance of

>>> rises to the level of

>>> of the emails cited

>>> were “all rejected and

>>> submitted by a single

>>> themselves until

>>> and has not provided

>>> publication was

>>> 2020), it’s really

>>> a vocal minority

>>> such, using this fact

>>> potentially manipulative

>>> to be more specific

>>> as I do not see it

>>> bit with language, but

>>> situation with each

>>> the record available.

>>> justification for a

>>> that had been brought

>>> memory on the part of

>>> useful to the record.

>>> clarified by the PDF authors

>>> had been previously

>>> addressed objections raised

>>> were amenable to the

>>> agreed. There is little

>>> determining

>>> followed by authors

>>> consensus (which is

>>> this accusatory PDF

>>> forward and then here

>>> consent for amendments

>>> with those amendments.

>>> sure how it is relevant

>>> co-chairs.

>>> "objections forcing the authors

>>> It’s my belief that the

>>> changes in a proposal throughout

>>> to a claim that the

>>> then that basis

>>> be provided. The

>>> other than the

>>> Claim (12), nor do I see

>>> wrote:

>>> is not only incredibly unfounded, biased and generally done in bad faith

>>> but is, in fact, in violation of some of the basic values AFRINIC stands

>>> for.