[rpd] Chair's Decision on Policy Proposal on Last call: Resource

Frank Habicht geier at geier.ne.tz
Mon Nov 16 05:40:26 UTC 2020

Hi,

I have two remarks about this. not the proposal, but the procedure.

On 16/11/2020 05:34, ABDULKARIM OLOYEDE wrote:

> Dear Community,

> 7. Our justification for arriving at Consensus without exhausting this

> issue was based on the fact that we Co-chairs could not agree on which

> of the two options (Legacy remaining legacy and otherwise) is more

> acceptable to the Community. Some do favour the option of Legacy holders

> remaining legacy while others would like things to be the other way

> round. It is difficult for us to make a call on this issue because it

> depends on one's perspective and we have seen how heated any debate on

> legacy resources can be from some recent exchange on one of the other

> AFRINIC mailing lists.  Therefore we believe that the best option is to

> have this discussion separate while avoiding throwing away the baby with

> the bathwater on this proposal.

It is not clear to me which version you submit to the AfriNIC board to
ratify. I believe the board should get one clear proposal from the PDWG.

> The authors also informed the Co-chairs

> that they do not mind whichever way the Community chooses. Therefore we

> believe this should not determine the faith of this proposal. We

> strongly believe that the reason why we have so many unresolved

> proposals is due to that fact that we often throw away the baby with the

> bathwater.

It should remain an option that nothing gets thrown away. This seems to
be the safest option, if you're not sure the baby will disappear with
the bathwater.
I believe that translated into policy development this means that no
change is safer than a change with uncertain outcomes.

PS: to be clear: i'm not arguing for or against the proposal as such.
The /methods/ appear a bit "unstable" to me.

Regards,
Frank