[rpd] Inter-RIR transfer Policy

Jaco Kroon jaco at uls.co.za
Thu Oct 22 13:22:27 UTC 2020

Hi Fernando,

On 2020/10/22 15:05, Fernando Frediani wrote:

> On 22/10/2020 07:16, Jaco Kroon wrote:

>> 2.  Other RIRs (ARIN as I understand) allow legacy space to retain

>> legacy status, and as such, in order to allow outbound transfers of

>> legacy space to those RIRs we must allow those transfers to retain

>> legacy status.

> In LACNIC IP space looses its legacy status and still it is perfectly

> possible to transfer in and out from ARIN. That's not a justification

> to keep this historical mistake of the internet still alive.

And thus exactly why myself and others are not in favour of the current
policy being ratified.  Not to mention that this is from my
understanding not the only issue.  It's apparently also not quite as
reciprocal as it needs to be.

You will note that in my wording and adjustments, any transfers where
the recipient is an AFRINIC member, legacy status is still lost, as per
previous.  I aimed at keeping exact current policies in place, and
enforcing the exact current behaviour, except that I basically said if
one of the parties is not from AFRINIC it needs to comply with the
policies from the IANA recognised RIR to which it does belong.

So:

AFRINIC => AFRINIC:  No changes to requirements/process.
LEGACY => AFRINIC:  No effective changes, except that it can now be ANY
legacy space, not only the African region.
AFRNIC => OtherRIR:  Only enforce the requirements on the source,
recipient needs to comply with policies of receiving RIR.
OtherRIR => AFRINIC:  Only enforce the requirements of the recipient,
source needs to comply with the policies of the source RIR.

And that's the only effective change to the existing policy, and from
what I've managed to deduce from all the back and forth, all that is
required, and since there are no effective changes on intra-AFRINIC
transfers, and there are no changes to the requirements otherwise, I
believe that the objections regarding historical unfairness as raised by
Jordi is addressed.  Since there are no real changes except to say yes,
we allow outbound transfers and won't enforce our recipient policy on
other RIRs, and we're happy to accept transfers from other RIRs without
enforcing anything on the source, but without changing any requirements
towards the AfriNIC party, I cannot see how there can be any
controversy, but I'm happy to hear out.

The one thing I did not read anywhere in transfer policy is that the
AFRINIC member(s) must be paid up / in good standing.  Hopefully this is
covered elsewhere that members that are not in good standing aren't
entitled to any services of any nature, else we may need to just add
this as requirements for the source/recipient in the case where these
parties are AFRINIC members.

Kind Regards,
Jaco