[rpd] Reversal of Consensus on Resource Transfer Policy

lucilla fornaro lucillafornarosawamoto at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 02:16:35 UTC 2020

Dear John,

Saying that the mailing list and the meetings follow two different levels
of discussion is not completely right. There is not a strict division and
even if some members do not ACTIVELY participate in them (or one of it),
they can get access to both meetings and mailing list. Everyone gets access
to the same info, it is up to us to participate or not. The point is, the
last call ended with a consensus! Some members did not want to accept it.
As a consequence, they proposed the appeal, and even if I am against it,
they are free to do what they feel is appropriate.
Somehow, now objections seem to focus only on the process, forgetting
almost completely the policy.

However, even if it is clear that we can have different arguments and
opinions, it became -too- common to repetitively and without apparent
reasons reject co-chairs authority and knowledge, and discuss every
decision trying to make them weak.
Some members asked for an extension of the last call, and once again, when
co-chairs allowed it they rejected their decision.
In my opinion, it is appropriate to talk, in some cases, about
"undermining" and "sabotaging".

Lucilla

Il giorno gio 22 ott 2020 alle ore 01:51 John Hay <john at sanren.ac.za> ha
scritto:

> [...]

> mailing list. Once they are mature and seem to have consensus there, it

> would be taken to the next meeting. If consensus could not be reached, it

> had to go back to the mailing list. If consensus could be reached, even

> with changes, it could go to last call. Last call gave the mailing list

> group the chance to see what the meeting group did and decide if they are

> still willing to give their consensus to that. If they were not happy with

> it, it had to go back to development. This way both groups had to get to

> consensus on the same unchanged policy before it could be ratified.

> If you do not do it that way and the policy can be changed during last

> call, what is the point of getting consensus at a meeting? Those people

> will have given their consensus to something different than what gets

> ratified.

> PS Please refrain from using words like "undermine" and "sabotaging" to

> describe people that do not think like you on this topic.

> Regards

> John

> On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 at 16:40, Ekaterina Kalugina <kay.k.prof at gmail.com>

> wrote:

>> Dear all,

>> I agree with Mike. The edits done do not change the essence of the

>> policy, but rather make sure it is functional and compatible with other

>> RIRs.

>> At this point, all the objections seem to concern the process and not

>> the policy itself. And these objections are not even properly justified.

>> Even if in other RIRs it may be different, the changes done do not violate

>> the AFRINIC CPM.

>> We all agree that this policy is necessary. And now we finally have a

>> proposal that is fully functional. I see no viable reason to undermine all

>> the progress achieved in the development of this policy. Passing this

>> policy now would be much more valuable to the region than dragging it on

>> who knows how many months.

>> Let us stop sabotaging this important development by insisting on that it

>> violates some subjective interpretations of the PDP.

>> Best,

>> Ekaterina

>> On Wed, 21 Oct 2020, 16:12 JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via RPD <rpd at afrinic.net>

>> wrote:

>>> The problem lies in the details:

>>> All the other RIRs have explicit PDP text to allow editorial changes in

>>> the last-call. AFRINIC doesn't have it (that's why I explicitly included

>>> that in my PDP update proposal).

>>> I can't agree with anyone that think that those changes (editorial)

>>> should be allowed while the PDP doesn't explicitly mention it.

>>> There is a clear exception: a typo or grammar mistake. In this case it

>>> is clear that should be corrected, but look how we did in AFRINIC *always*:

>>> *in the meeting itself during the proposal presentation* not afterwards,

>>> not in the last-call. So, the consensus is determined *with those changes

>>> done*.

>>> Let's look this from a perspective of a country parliament doing laws.

>>> How it works?

>>> 1) The government or parties make a law proposal.

>>> 2) It is discussed, there may be different versions, some of them may be

>>> voted at some point, they may fail, new versions, etc., then the last one

>>> (our last-call) goes for voting to the plenary.

>>> 3) Once it is accepted, then *that text* and *only that text* goes to

>>> the official journal.

>>> If there is even a misspelling, it should be published as it was

>>> presented before the voting. CHANGES!

>>> Here we don't have voting, we have consensus, but the rest of the flow

>>> is the same.

>>> Regards,

>>> Jordi

>>> escribió:

>>> devil is in the details.

>>> Change in grammar, wording... sure ! In meaning, no.

>>> move is to advance the policy.

>>> implementation status at AFRINIC.

>>> give up the hard-won progress in exchange for what to me is a quibble about

>>> something unimportant that can be changed later if necessary.

>>> policy in place, the materiality of the legacy wordage, and the propriety

>>> of the process regarding consensus and changes in last call. Maybe I think

>>> the policy is more important than you do, or you think adhering to proper

>>> policy development is more important than I do. There are valid arguments

>>> on both sides.

>>> Policy

>>> that, it needs to go back to the list. Whether the part that's been changed

>>> is relevant to some or not, is irrelevant. If a part of a policy is

>>> irrelevant, it must be removed. But that's also a change. Either way it

>>> goes back to the list.

>>> precedent where policies are modified in the last minute without proper

>>> discussion.

>>> else.

>>> the problem, all relate to the legacy issue.

>>> of problems related to moderators, last-call, appeals, etc. will go away,

>>> in my opinion.

>>> editorial: "recipient must be an RIR member....".

>>> legacy issue and the editorial change are insignificant in the context of

>>> the need for this policy.

>>> status (or not).

>>> insignificant matter at this late date is unwarranted.

>>> change the policy then.

>>> personally

>>> last

>>> during