[rpd] Reciprocity of the inter-RIR transfer policies

Madhvi Gokool madhvi at afrinic.net
Fri Oct 9 15:01:04 UTC 2020

*

Dear PDWG

AFRINIC has received partial feedback to its query and would like to
report on the feedback received to the community.  To note that the
proposal   AFPUB-2019-V4-003-DRAFT03 was also shared with the RIRs when
it was submitted in Sep 2020.

1.

ARIN has responded that the Resource Transfer Policy is not
compatible with their inter-RIR transfer policies because of the
following statement therein - “The source must be the current rights
holder of the IPv4 address resources registered with any RIR and
shall be in compliance with the policies of the receiving RIR.”would
require a source in the ARIN region to comply with AFRINIC RIR policies.

AFRINIC - You will find  that both AFPUB-2019-V4-003-DRAFT02 &
AFPUB-2019-V4-003-DRAFT03, versions that were shared with the RIRs
contain this statement.

2.

APNIC has responded that for

1.

AFPUB-2019-V4-003-DRAFT03 - Resource Transfer Policy (Draft-3), the
APNIC inter-RIR policy is not compatible with the current text,
especially “The source must be the current rights holder of the IPv4
address resources registered with any RIR and shall be in compliance
with the policies of the receiving RIR.”

AFRINIC - You will find  that AFPUB-2019-V4-003-DRAFT02 version that was
shared with the RIRs also contain this statement.

2.

 AFPUB-2019-GEN-002-DRAFT02 - AFRINIC Number Resources Transfer Policy

 "Only Legacy resources and resources transferred in from other regions
will be transferable out of the AFRINIC service region."

Not compatible as it is not fully reciprocal and bi-directional in
nature. The proposal only allows transfer of legacy resources and
resources that been transferred into AFRINIC, and NOT resources from the
AFRINIC pool. In principle, APNIC allows outgoing transfer of resources
from the APNIC pool, but has a 5-year transfer restriction for 103/8 space.

3.

AFPUB-2019-IPv4-002-DRAFT04 - IPv4 Inter-RIR Resource Transfers
(Comprehensive Scope) Draft-4

Compatible for IPv4 Inter-RIR transfers. However there is ambiguity
about APNIC to AFRINIC ASN transfers. We understand the text below
allows transfer of ASNs out of AFRINIC region if they meet certain
conditions. Does it imply transfer of incoming ASNs into AFRINIC is allowed?

"5.7.4 Transfer of ASN with IPv4 Resources

At the AFRINIC discretion, in the case where over 50% of the IPv4
resources associated with an ASN are being transferred, that ASN may
also be transferred at the same time."

AFRINIC - We shall clarify this with APNIC as from next week.

**To conclude , please note that as we receive further updates from the
RIRs, we shall keep the working group informed. Should the authors of
the 3 policy proposals require further inputs and clarifications
regarding reciprocity/compatibility, we recommend that they submit same
to pdwg at afrinic.net . We shall then do the needful and liaise with the
RIRs.******

**We have also noted that a latest version of *Resource Transfer Policy
was submitted to the list . To maintain the consistency , the
reciprocity/compatibility with the other inter-RIR transfer policies
will be sought.***

*******

**

***