[rpd] Transfer Policy Proposal v.3.docx

Fernando Frediani fhfrediani at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 19:39:21 UTC 2020

Hello

There is no much I can do other than state my *opposition to this
proposal* to advance and reach any consensus mainly because 5.7.4.3 has
been inverted from what was originally in the proposal and only changed
at last minute due to some comments in the PPM going straight to last
call which didn't give opportunity to the community re-evaluate this
major change and if it's suitable to the region or not.

Co-Chairs cannot advance this proposal to rough consensus the way it is
and I urge and ask them again to bring it back to discussion to find out
a resolution to these opened issues. Multiple people raised substantial
concerns about it already. There is no way it can be considered 'rough
consensus'.

I also understand there may be a hurry to get a Inter-RIR transfer
policy as soon as possible, but we must care about what is most
important than that which is get policies to reflect what is really good
for the region and not just to a few actors, even if it takes a bit
longer. I support Jordi's suggestion to have another PPM in a few months
so perhaps this proposal can advance from that point in time. LACNIC
remained about 2 years without a Inter-RIR transfer policy after it run
out of addresses for new organizations and survived. AfriNic will
survive if it has to wait a few more months in order to get things
really right.

Now going to the merit of the proposal specially the main point I oppose
(5.7.4.3):
There is no sense at all to keep considering transferred legacy
resources as legacy. This doesn't work that way and has a proper reason
to be like that which is fix a historical internet problem and reduce
legacy resources with time as they get transferred to 'normal'
organizations who purchased them in the market for example.
In this way organizations receiving these resources are bind to the same
rules everybody else making it much fair to everybody and making no
distinction between members.
Allowing resources to remain considered legacy only contributed to
abuses and unfairness allowing those who can pay more do whatever they
like which is bad for the rest of the Internet community which are
subject to the same rules  that apply equally to them.
If transferred legacy resources are not considered legacy anymore more
and more they will apply equally for everybody as they become as a
normal resource within any RIR. There has been a strong reason for this
be like that until now and to continue like that.

Regards
Fernando