[rpd] AFPUB-2019-V4-003-DRAFT02 - Resource Transfer Policy

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Mon Sep 21 08:34:13 UTC 2020

Hi all,

I will be happy to support this proposal and withdraw my own one, but *before* I’ve some questions about this decision that need to be addressed first (see below, in-line).

10. Resource Transfer Policy

This proposal aims to introduce Inter RIR transfer. However, it has the following opposition

a. Issues with Legacy holder transfer is potentially considered none-reciprocal by ARIN

b. Potential abuse of AFRINIC free pool without the time limit of receiving an allocation from AFRINIC.

Chairs Decision: The proposal is the least contested of all the 3 competing proposals. However because of the community’s desire and clear expression for the need for an Inter RIR transfer, we, the Co-chairs, believe that in the interest of the community we should focus on a proposal rather than several similar ones. This desire was clearly expressed at the AFRINIC 31 meeting in Angola. Therefore, We suggest that the authors of this proposal make the following amendments:

· 5.7.3.2 Source entities are not eligible to receive further IPv4 allocations or assignments from AFRINIC for 12 months period after the transfer.

[Jordi] This is perfect, and in fact is what I’ve. Just different timing to match phase 2 window x 2, but not a big issue. However, we are missing something that was also objected by the community and I think is key to avoid abuse. Actual text in the CPM “5.7.3.3 Source entities must not have received a transfer, allocation, or assignment of IPv4 number resources from AFRINIC for the 12 months prior to the approval of transfer request. This restriction excludes mergers and acquisitions transfers.”. This is no longer considered by this proposal, and in my opinion it is a MUST. Doesn’t make any sense that someone is getting resources from AFRINIC and being able to transfer them immediately! Can please the chairs also address this point.

[Jordi] Can the staff explain the consequences from their perspective if we don’t have such text or something similar? Is even possible that the board will not ratify the policy because that, and we are wasting a previous time?

· 5.7.4.3. Transferred legacy resources will still be regarded as legacy resources.

[Jordi] This is also a major issue. I’m not sure if the chairs have understood what was the point about lack of reciprocity. We can’t enforce ARIN to accept that outgoing (to ARIN from AFRINIC) resources will no longer be legacy. However the actual CPM states “5.7.4.3 Transferred IPv4 legacy resources will no longer be regarded as legacy resources.”. We must keep that, because we should avoid legacy resources to keep being legacy as much as possible, because they are NOT BIND to the CPM. If we accept the chairs proposal, we are going *backwards* not forward and we may be creating a discrimination with already done transfers within AFRINIC (Intra-RIR, according to the current policy). The right text here must be “Transferred incoming or within AFRINIC IPv4 legacy resources will no longer be regarded as legacy resources”.

[Jordi] Finally, there were several severe comments from the staff that need to be addressed. For example, resources under dispute. That’s a big issue! There are a few others. I think here we need to see if the staff got everything clear from the authors inputs and if the policy can be implemented or there will be open questions that will not allow to be a functional policy and again, even disallow the board to ratify it.

Chairs Decision: Provided that the above are amended, the decisions is Rough Consensus is achieved

Regards,

Jordi

@jordipalet

IPv4 is over