[rpd] Decisions and summary on policy proposals discussed during the online Policy meeting (AFRINIC 32)

Fernando Frediani fhfrediani at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 01:14:21 UTC 2020

On 20/09/2020 21:04, ABDULKARIM OLOYEDE wrote:

> <clip>

> 10.Resource Transfer Policy

> This proposal aims to introduce Inter RIR transfer. However, it has

> the following opposition

> a.Issues with Legacy holder transfer is potentially considered

> none-reciprocal by ARIN

> b.Potential abuse of AFRINIC free pool without the time limit of

> receiving an allocation from AFRINIC.

> Chairs Decision: The proposal is the least contested of all the 3

> competing proposals. However because of the community’s desire and

> clear expression for the  need for an Inter RIR transfer, we, the

> Co-chairs, believe that in the interest of the community we should

> focus on a proposal rather than several similar ones. This desire was

> clearly expressed at the AFRINIC 31 meeting in Angola. Therefore, We

> suggest that the authors of this proposal make the following amendments:

> ·5.7.3.2 Source entities are not eligible to receive further IPv4

> allocations or assignments from AFRINIC for 12 months period after the

> transfer.

> ·5.7.4.3. Transferred legacy resources will still be regarded as

> legacy resources.

I don't remember during the discussion of this proposal someone making a
point for legacy resources once transferred to remain with legacy
status. It doesn't make sense at all.
In all RIRs I know any legacy resources once transferred looses the
legacy status and that makes *a lot of sense* in order to end up with a
historical distortion to the system and favor resources end up on
organizations who really justify for them now a days.

Can the Co-Chairs point in which part of the discussion of this proposal
this claim was made in order to consider that a rough consensus ? I have
searched in the RPD Archives on the content of this discussion for
months and couldn't find any mention to this point.

Thanks
Fernando