[rpd] RPKI ROAs for Unallocated and Unassigned AFRINIC Address Space AFPUB-2019-GEN-006-DRAFT02

Patrick Okui pokui at psg.com
Thu Sep 17 09:24:06 UTC 2020

Dear Elvis,

Thanks for speaking up and clarifying this viewpoint. Much as your
concerns
aren’t directly connected to this proposal but to RPKI in general I
think
they’re shared by many and worth addressing. (No I’m not one of the
authors of
this proposal).

To have a mutual understanding (or agreement to disagree) we need to
iron out a
few points. Apologies for the long email that doesn’t discuss the
policy
itself.

1. Allocation of IP addresses (and other resources) is in your words
_”centralised”_. I prefer the word “hierarchal”. I.E IANA
has the global pool
of IP(v4 & v6) addresses. It then hands it out to RIRs like
AFRINIC. LIRS like
ISPs then apply from the RIR. End users either get allocated
address space out
of the LIR pool or can get addresses directly from the RIR and get
those
routed. So, AFRINIC (and other RIRs) are not responsible to
allocate IP
addresses to servers, but you can’t allocate a public IP address
to a server
without somehow following this chain. Kindly confirm if you’re
fine with this
state of affairs.

2. I see you’re using a gmail address and you used the web interface
to compose
your email. To do that your browser used SSL. The system that lets
SSL work is
the X509 certificate system. This is another _”centralised”_ or
hierarchal
system. Your browser or OS has a set of root trust information
(CA’s). These
CAs can create “signatures” (crypto information) that says that
a particular
key XYZ is allowed to secure a domain (e.g gmail.com). They also
can create
signatures that say a key ABC can also create signatures like their
own. In
this case, gmail could chose to go to whoever runs ABC to get their
X509
certificate instead of to any of the roots themselves. Your browser
is able to
follow the chain of trust. Note that x509 aka SSL has methods by
which CAs can
publish crypto information that revokes previously assigned
certificates if
they were allocated in error. Please also confirm if this is
something you’re
fine with.

3. RPKI technically isn’t just for ROA validation. It is just another
public
key infrastructure with *hierarchy* (you prefer the term
centralised). It also
(like x509) requires some sort of root anchor or anchors. These are
what are
installed in each client that wants to verify any of the crypto
information in
the system. This isn’t new, DNSSEC works the same way. Once you
have well
known/established roots each of these systems (DNSSEC, RPKI) have
ways to
delegate authority for some information to the holder of a
different public
key. And this goes down the chain. The decision of who the root
anchors for
RPKI was debated on public lists like these and finally at the NRO
it was
agreed that the easiest and cleanest solution was for all RIRs to
have a root
0/0 anchor. All RPKI validator clients simply have these anchors
configured and
can therefore validate all crypto in the RPKI system.

Kindly confirm if we’re on the same page (at least via understanding)
of these
three long points. Effectively the RPKI system in my opinion is more
trustworthy than the x509 one that secures the SSL you used to write
your
email. If you look at your OS/browser there are quite a number of root
CAs
there that given the choice I personally wouldn’t trust.

Just like DNS, all these systems need hierarchy to operate. It is not
logical
to say you trust x509 (SSL) but not RPKI. Or that you’re fine using
the
internet with its allocation of IP but do not want to secure those
allocations
with a system that follows that same heirachy. Note that we haven’t
even
discussed the fact that publishing ROA information in RPKI is optional
for ISPs
and end users. We’re just discussing the trust hierarchy.

patrick