[rpd] IPv4 transfer abuses

Gregoire EHOUMI gregoire.ehoumi at yahoo.fr
Tue Sep 15 11:38:42 UTC 2020

Hi Daniel,Thanks for your email. Good paper with  Interesting findings. Our proposal for v4 transfer consolidates the intra-RIR transfers, allows inbound, controls outbound transfers  and all on need-basis.https://afrinic.net/policy/proposals/2019-gen-002-d2#proposalWe make sure numbers moved inside the region and into the region, serve the network purposes and the growing internet in the region, while limiting the risk that some  numbers move out, get involved in malicious activities and expose  African networks to blacklisting.As we keep learning and discovering the impact of the v4 transfer, it is better to proceed cautiously.Thanks,--Greg
-------- Original message --------From: Murungi Daniel <dmurungi at wia.co.tz> Date: 2020-09-13 3:39 p.m. (GMT-05:00) To: "rpd >> AfriNIC Resource Policy" <rpd at afrinic.net> Subject: [rpd] IPv4 transfer abuses Good evening all,I came across an interesting paper on RIPE labs which details abuse of IPv4 transfers (https://labs.ripe.net/Members/vgiotsas/a-first-look-at-the-misuse-and-abuse-of-ipv4-transfer-markets). A couple of highlights, - 85% of the transfer are Intra-RIR - Important proportion of transfers involved in malicious activities. - RIPE region shows biggest misuses inside the “sale” transfers - AFRINIC and Lacnic transfers did not show misuses.The full document: https://eprints.lancs.ac.uk/id/eprint/139789/1/VGiotsas_PAM2020_IPv4_Transfers_abuse.pdfWhat lessons can the RPD learn from this research? What can we do differently within the AFRINIC policy framework?Regards,Murungi Daniel