[rpd] Policy Proposal: PDP Working Group (WG) Guidelines and Procedures

ALAIN AINA aalain at trstech.net
Mon Sep 14 08:36:14 UTC 2020

Hello,

> On 13 Sep 2020, at 03:44, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> Yes, I have read the proposal.

> I still think that allowing the remaining co-chair to single-handedly appoint the other co-chair is not a good idea. I realize that is not the intent of the proposal, but as written, the remaining co-chair can, in fact, declare consensus for a candidate regardless of actual consensus. Given the history of this being done regarding certain policy proposals in the AfriNIC region, I don’t think that’s an entirely unlikely situation.

It is not an unlikely situation as does the opposite case. This happens everywhere, even though recent events in this region tend to indicate some indelicacy.

Like the PDP, the WG’s guidelines include an appeal mechanism for cochair decision on the appointment at section 3.3.10.2

Any suggestion to improve the text ?

> I am not sure where this sudden desire to avoid having an actual election is coming from, but my considered opinion is that a fair and impartial election is still the best mechanism to apply here. I would not oppose a transition from simple raised hands to ranked choice voting if you feel that would be beneficial, but I think that’s a lot of overhead for what has traditionally been relatively simple and I suggest that there really is nothing wrong with a show of hands.

The desire to avoid having an election to select cochair is coming from the impossibility to have a “fair and impartial election “ in the context of the PDPWG.

The lack of details on cochairs appointment procedure in the current PDP has led to frequent re-engineering of the process and the abuses we experienced recently.

Without a valid and uncontested voters list, a fair and impartial election remains impossible.

You should have noticed that based on the above, the proposed appointment process including the ranked-choice secret ballot follows the consensus modus operandi of the WG.
The final fallback allows the chair of the Board of Directors to appoint interim co-chair, to also avoid full board voting to apppoint an interim co-chair for the WG

Thanks

—Alain