[rpd] Policy Development Process and Elections

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Aug 20 16:29:11 UTC 2020

>> It is even much more suspicious in this list, when we have already previous cases of people impersonating others ... that definitively set a very bad background, unfortunately, and even worse than that, the board decided not to make a legal claim so google is forced to identify the real persona behind that email so we could take, for example, a decision to suspend the real person posting rights or whatever.

> I was not aware of this. Anyway, I can only say that I support the board

> in this instance. Legal actions can be quite costly, and I do believe

> there are other and much more worthy things that the money could be spent

> on.

> [Jordi] I don't know in Mauritius, but in Spain you can start this investigation without any investment and then decide if you want to put some money to ask for compensation to this person and in most of the cases, that person will need to pay all the costs of the legal actions. What I was asking for was simply to open the case, so Google can be legally queried for "who is this person", nothing else. Because once we know who is this person, the board/community rules can take actions. Otherwise, everybody in the community knows they can do the same ... not good at all. Even if this cost money to AFRINIC, it saves AFRINIC from the situation of having instead of a single impersonation case, hundreds of them and being in big troubles.

I don’t know in Mauritius, either, but in the US where they’d likely need to pursue Google, no, it would be quite expensive. There are filing fees, subpoena service fees, the cost of a US law firm to pursue the matter, and more.

All of this to compel Google to say “John Doe” is the only name he gave us and we don’t have any other information about him or her.

I think under the circumstances the board’s decision not to pursue is the correct one.

> More to the point however... and I hope that someone will correct me if

> I have misunderstood... it seems that the real issue is "sock puppets"

> infiltrating the mailing lists AND then asking to vote, or being allowed

> to vote.

> [Jordi] That's what we are trying to prevent now, because until now, despite that the PDP indicated that anyone participating in the meeting (on-site and remotely) can participate, the real situation is that until now only on-site people were able to vote. The previous problem that we talked about was people disturbing the mailing list, ad-hominem, etc.

I don’t know how real this issue is or is not. It certainly has been alleged in multiple directions. There certainly were a number of sock puppets brought into the meeting in Dakar, though it is unclear to what extent they actually modified the outcome of anything.

There are those that allege a certain set of fellowships exist to create sock puppets. I have been involved in that fellowship process and believe its effort to have been a genuine effort to educate and enhance the community through the recruitment of students and others regardless of viewpoint or positions supported.

I don’t know where or how 177 new list members were recruited in July, but I agree that this is, at the very least, suspicious and looks like a concerted effort to “stuff the ballot box” as it were.

> This problem, which appears to be a real one, needs to be solved in some

> comprehensive and long lasting way that does not require the initiation,

> by AFRINIC, of a huge plethora of legal actions.

The problem must first be well defined (currently it is not).
Second, the problem, once defined, must be investigated in some way to determine whether it is an actual problem or merely perception and/or suspicion.
Only then can we start to identify solutions because only then do we have sufficient data about the nature of the problem we seek to solve.

> It is my firm believe that there are numerous different technical strategies

> that could be called upon for effectively combatting this sort of thing,

> ranging from the gentle to the draconian, and I would be happy to discuss

> the available options to the extent that people on this list sincerely

> care about this "sock puppet" issue. It is certainly the case that AFRINIC

> is by no means alone in being faced with this unique but widespread problem

> of the online world, and many other companies and organizations have found

> inventive and effective ways to thwart the sock puppets, and these existing

> technical stratgies stand as working examples and real-world lessons,

> showing us what can be done if there is a sincere desire to address the

> problem.

Yep.